Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

NEW CAR BUILD
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: NEW CAR BUILD

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 12 years, 11 months ago #10769

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Got a couple of jobs done today. I installed some plexiglass for the side windows to help keep water out when I'm hauling the car or it sits in the rain at the track. At least I'll have a dry ass when I climb in the seat next time it's raining. I made a template with some cardboard, traced it out on the plexiglass and cut it. Drilled some holes and installed with some sheet metal screws.

PIC_0660.JPG

PIC_0657.JPG

PIC_0654.JPG

I also installed my ballast too. I made up a carry handle to make it easier to install and remove when Bryce drives.

PIC_0687.JPG

PIC_0712.JPG

PIC_0693.JPG

Plexiglass, sheetmetal screws, nutss, bolts,washers.....$34.10
Total in car so far.....$8789.82
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build
Last Edit: 12 years, 11 months ago by RacerX.

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 12 years, 9 months ago #11161

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
It's getting hot and I don't take the heat very well. The air is stagnant in the car so I decided to make something to blow air on me. This is part of the heater/AC venting system left over when I gutted the car.

PIC_0851.JPG

I positioned the duct so that it would blow in my face, marked it and drilled a big hole on one side and smaller one on the other

PIC_0872.JPG

I used an o-ring on the back side to keep from losing the screw when it's removed to install the window.

PIC_0930.JPG

PIC_0951.JPG

I also installed a screen to keep from getting hit in the face from debris that it might pick up.

PIC_0905.JPG

After some trimming.

PIC_0916.JPG

All finished! One sheet metal screw and an o-ring was all it cost and I had those lying around.

PIC_0963.JPG

I also have a Cool Shirt system that I'll be installing. I'll get some pics up later next week.

PIC_0978.JPG

Last Edit: 12 years, 9 months ago by RacerX.

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 12 years, 7 months ago #11555

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
It's been awhile since I've posted. The car is not quite finished yet, but I've been racing it a little this season. There are a few things that I would like to add, like, rear torsion bars, rear sway bar and some rear bushings. Also there are a few things that I don't like about the car that I will change. I'll post up on all these items when I get to them.

In the last 3 weeks, I've been selling the rest of the stock parts on ebay. I only have a few more parts left to sell. So far after selling fees I've netted $400. Which brings the total of the car down to $8389.82 I'm hoping with the rest of the items that I'd like to add to the car, I'll be under 9K.

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 12 years, 7 months ago #11583

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
I've had some track time with my new air duct.

PIC_0963.jpg

I can't get it to stay in the position I want. So I got a peice of flat aluminum that I had lying around. Cut it to length and drilled some holes in it.

PIC_3895.JPG

PIC_3541.JPG

I riveted it to the inside of the duct.

PIC_3584.JPG

Now I can bend it to the position that I desire to get air flow where I want and the aluminum bar holds it in place. Notice the nice curve in it. I've got it set to blow right in my face and the screen keeps anything from coming through and hitting me.

PIC_3589.JPG

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 12 years, 6 months ago #11637

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
There are some things that I've done, when I look back, wish that I didn't, or done differently. Hindsight is 20/20. Here are a couple that I've corrected. There is more but I'll get to those in a later post.

I've noticed that when I go off, espically in the wet, the grass and mud collect between the frame and fender. I usually end up taking the hose and flushing it all out after I get home. So I reinstalled the fender liners. I hear all of you now, just don't go off!!

PIC_4042.JPG

I smell some exhaust in the car, not much, but from time to time. So I reinstalled the rubber gasket that goes on top of the fire wall.
I also should have kept the rear hatch gasket but it was in bad shape, all tore and missing sections. I'll try to find a good used one. I will also install a fresh set of exhaust gaskets this winter. This should take care of it.

PIC_3784.JPG

PIC_3805.JPG

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 12 years, 6 months ago #11870

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
I purchased the larger 24 quart cooler and the shirt with a hood. It's great having cooling on your head and doesn't affect the fit of the helmet.

I took my suit to a seamstress and had her put a button hole just big enough to get the hoses through for the cool shirt. We had already figured out where the hoses needed to come out at.

PIC_4732.JPG

I mounted some angle in the spare tire well and welded in place.

PIC_4751.JPG

I made a bracket out of angle, drilled holes for the zip ties and shaped it to fit the inside profile of the rocker panel and welded it in place.

PIC_0993.JPG

PIC_1008.JPG

I mounted the hoses with a couple of zip ties. With the release buttons on the hoses facing up, all you have to do is press down on the buttons and the hoses pop right out. It's nice to have a solid mount to just connect the hoses. Also I don't have to search for the ends every time I need to connect the hoses, I know right where they're at.

PIC_1024.JPG

PIC_1012.JPG

I routed the hoses to the back of the car using zip tie holders and self tapping sheet metal screws. Be careful not to use these above the fuel tank as you could put a hole in the tank.

PIC_4759.JPG

PIC_4764.JPG

I used a connector off of the stock wiring harness that I had pulled from the car during the build. This way I can unplug the cooler and remove it.

PIC_4775.JPG

Last Edit: 12 years, 6 months ago by RacerX.
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds