Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

NEW CAR BUILD
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: NEW CAR BUILD

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 12 years, 5 months ago #11871

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
I still need to get a proper strap to hold the cooler down. I used several large zip ties to temporarily hold it in place but I wouldn't feel safe using them all the time.

PIC_4783.JPG

Later, I'll install a switch in the dash to turn the cooler pump on and off. Right now it runs all the time unless it's unplugged.

I won't add the cost of the cool system to the car cause I can take it with me. The screws and zip ties I used were left over and already paid for so no cost there.
Total cost of car so far.....$8389.82
I also sold another $100 of parts that were removed from the car, bringing the total cost down to.....$8289.82
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build
Last Edit: 12 years, 5 months ago by RacerX.

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 11 years, 10 months ago #13329

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Back from the dead? NO, just finishing it up. I should be all done in the next few weeks

I ordered a set of straps for the cooler $11.64 from Strapworks.com and cut them down to size. I melted the edge so they won't unravel.

PIC_8370.JPG

The left over strap material that got cut off was glued to the bottom of the angle brackets I welded in earlier. This prevents the cooler from sliding back and forth. I took 2 links of logging chain and welded them on to each side of the the angle brackets to secure the cooler in place with the straps.

PIC_8383.JPG

PIC_8376.JPG

PIC_8360.JPG

I've also installed an on off switch for the cooler and it works great! If I get too cold I just turn it off and when I start to get hot, just turn it back on The switch was accounted for when I purchased the electrical supplies.

Total cost of car so far $8301.46

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 11 years, 10 months ago #13330

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
SAFETY ALERT

The Aero Catch hood pin that I installed earlier in this thread will break. The aluminum pin will bend and break causing your hood to fly open at the most inopportune time. Just as Eric!! Mine was starting to bend so I changed it out to a steel one that I had lying around.

PIC_8345.JPG

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 11 years, 10 months ago #13331

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
To Ram Air or not to ram air that is the question. This will net you 50 HP at the wheels!! LOL
A K&N air filter, brake cooling duct, delrin steering rack bushing and some ignition parts......$170.40

PIC_7926.JPG

I cut the back of the fog light bucket off with my dremel.

PIC_7957.JPG

Shoved the brake cooling duct in and riveted it in place.

PIC_8396.JPG

Installed the new air filter in the stock box and secured the cover. I attached the rest of the dryer vent duct I had left over from the defroster install. And wa la, an instant 50 HP!!! LOL Cheap and easy.

PIC_8327.JPG

PIC_8340.JPG

Total in car so far....$8471.86
Attachments:

Last Edit: 11 years, 10 months ago by RacerX.

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 11 years, 10 months ago #13332

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Now for some expensive stuff.........

I purchased a set of cookie cutters for $300.

PIC_8399.JPG

Also from a race car that was totaled, a complete rear end suspension with 30mm T-bars and most of the delrin bushings already installed for $100. The only bushing left out which I purchased and is in route to me was the delrin banana arm bushings for $160.

PIC_8087.JPG

From the same totaled car, a complete set of front and rear Weltmeister sways. $450 Notice the stock rear sway bar at the top of the pic.

PIC_8422.JPG

The rear end is already in the car, just waiting for the banana arm bushings to come in later this week. Then it's off to Pinetree Motorsports to get the ride height adjusted and re-corner ballanced.

I've also added a helmet hook for the steering wheel and a nice mirror from US Racing Gear.....$86.00

Total in car.....$9567.86

Last Edit: 11 years, 7 months ago by RacerX.

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 11 years, 7 months ago #13644

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
A few more pics of everything installed. Now it's time to get it all adjusted and feel the car out. With all this new stuff, it's going to be a very different feeling driving it.

PIC_8778.JPG

PIC_8838.JPG

In conclusion, (yes, it's finally all done, except for adjustments!!!) I'd like to thank all the people who've helped me. Especially my family, my son's for one, I couldn't have done it without them. My right hand man through the build, Dan. He was there through thick and thin. Eric and Neil, for the countless questions I asked them. Jim and Kelby too.

The two most asked questions since the start......1 Why didn't you buy one already built? What's out there for sale, while ok to start with, is actually the hard way to do it. Especially if it's not to your liking. You'll have to change so much you might as well spend the time and do it right the first time instead of tearing out what someone else put in. You learn so much about the car when building. When you buy one done and it breaks, what do you do, where do you start, unless you already know the car inside and out. Building is not for everyone though. You can get a good one but I believe they're the exception to the rule.

And the second question was...Would you do it again?? My answer is YES, in a heartbeat. It was great fun and I learned a tremendous amount about Porsche, 924's, 944's and it's history.

All I need to do is get some more track time with the car and learn to be a better driver. I have a long way to go on that one!! Thanks for following all the posts. I hope it encourages somebody to build one or at the very least, helps them out with their build or problem.

Total in the car as it sits, is about $9600

See you on track......
Thanks,
Ken

Last Edit: 11 years, 7 months ago by RacerX.
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds