Username Password: Remember me

Ram Air Rule Clarification Issue
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Ram Air Rule Clarification Issue

Re: Ram Air Rule Clarification Issue 10 years, 5 months ago #16927

• Bottoz
  • Seasoned Racer
Sterling Doc wrote:
I think it's pretty clear that ram air increases HP...

So, what if someone dynos right at the limit... or 2 hp below... or 5 hp below. If they run Ram Air, can they be protested? I'm sure you have the data Eric, but what if at Nationals, those that were close to the limit AND had HP increasing Ram Air were protested and disqualified?
C.J. Botts
1984 944 #37

2007 RM HPDE Driver of the Year
2010 RM Instructor of the Year
2013 RM 944SPEC Director
Last Edit: 10 years, 5 months ago by Bottoz.

Re: Ram Air Rule Clarification Issue 10 years, 5 months ago #16928

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
On the passenger side up front is the windshield washer reservoir.

PIC_8347.JPG

Once you remove the washer reservoir and the all the head light assembly there is tons of room in there. A nice big space, as the next pic shows.

PIC_8365.JPG

On the drivers side up front is a corner bracket. In this next pic you can see the AC dryer and under the bracket are the horns. I believe this bracket is there to protect parts of the AC system in case of an accident.

PIC_8356.JPG

This next pic is my car with the bracket cut out and the "RAM AIR" hose from the fog light to the stock air box.

PIC_8379.JPG

There is no room to run the hose up to the air box with this bracket in the way. Since there is no bracket like this on the passenger side and is not being used, I cut it out entirely, as per rule 17.3.10 Unused wiring, brackets, nuts, bolts and studs may be removed.

I don't know why anyone would cut the headlight buckets out? But on the other hand as per rule 17.3.10 , the headlight buckets are unused when it becomes a race car.
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build
Last Edit: 10 years, 5 months ago by RacerX.

Re: Ram Air Rule Clarification Issue 10 years, 5 months ago #16929

Bottoz wrote:
Sterling Doc wrote:
I think it's pretty clear that ram air increases HP...

So, what if someone dynos right at the limit... or 2 hp below... or 5 hp below. If they run Ram Air, can they be protested? I'm sure you have the data Eric, but what if at Nationals, those that were close to the limit AND had HP increasing Ram Air were protested and disqualified?

CJ, in terms of real HP on the track, I doubt any of the cars cracked 125 HP at Nationals at 5,000 feet, ram air or no. When we race at Road America, and it's 30 degrees out, we're probably making 150HP.

The dyno rule deals with dyno corrected HP only, not actual HP. Unless we tow that mobile dyno over 80MPH with a 944 strapped to it, there is no way to measure the ram air effect in terms of the rule to entertain DQ'ing somebody. These issues are also part of the reason that Traqmate data is hard to use for absolute numbers.

I understand your point about ram air adding some power above the cap, and I'm not entirely unsypathetic to that point. When we put ending ram air to a vote, it went down pretty hard. So it seems that the majority want it, but we have to make sure that we at least provide equal opportunity to that benefit, and that is what this thread is about.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Ram Air Rule Clarification Issue 10 years, 5 months ago #16930

Ken, good post on illustrating this.

Considering the headlight bucket and "unused bracket" is not going to pass the common sense test. Even the traingular part is a grey area, though a reasonable person could make the case for it.

We'll make this more clear moving forward.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Ram Air Rule Clarification Issue 10 years, 5 months ago #16931

• Bottoz
  • Seasoned Racer
I know there is no way to measure it. If you can't measure it, then how do we know how much it's adding? We have a legal limit of 138. Ram Air allows you to legally break the rules, and 'cheat'.

Let's say two guys have a properly set up car/engine at the 138 limit. One guys chooses Ram Air, the other guy does not. Guess who has more HP? And of course, the usual's will say "it's all about the driver", ok fine. Get rid if your Ram Air.

10/10 of those who vote for Ram Air have bought/invested/made/innovated their Ram Air.

Ram Air was made to add hp. We have a HP cap. If you're at the cap, you don't need Ram Air. Take it off.

It looks like we're in a situation where everyone is doing it, so I guess it's legal to break the HP cap because everyone else is. Rules are Rules. If there is a 138 HP cap, yet we allow Ram Air that adds HP... hmmm... what else can be broken?
C.J. Botts
1984 944 #37

2007 RM HPDE Driver of the Year
2010 RM Instructor of the Year
2013 RM 944SPEC Director

Re: Ram Air Rule Clarification Issue 10 years, 5 months ago #16932

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Bottoz wrote:

Let's say two guys have a properly set up car/engine at the 138 limit. One guys chooses Ram Air, the other guy does not. Guess who has more HP? And of course, the usual's will say "it's all about the driver", ok fine. Get rid if your Ram Air.

10/10 of those who vote for Ram Air have bought/invested/made/innovated their Ram Air.

Ram Air was made to add hp. We have a HP cap. If you're at the cap, you don't need Ram Air. Take it off.

I don't care either way. There's not much invested in the set-up for ram air. I just wish we'd make up our minds about it and then let it alone.
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build
Last Edit: 10 years, 5 months ago by RacerX.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds