Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Official Rules Change Proposal Thread
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Official Rules Change Proposal Thread

Re: Official Rules Change Proposal Thread 9 years, 5 months ago #18628

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
Personally, I think the dyno limit is good as is and the way the issues were handled at nationals was good. If there are issues at a particular dyno maybe some sort of percentage difference from the lowest car to the highest, or an average of all cars and outliers over x percentage are out.

I run the Ultrshield VS halo seat, the same one Steve had in his car when he went all Dukes of Hazard at Sonoma and I highly reccomend it or one like it. I'd stop short of making them required although I think you're doing yourself a disservice by not having one. Egress is very tricky though and I plan to put pedal and steering wheel extensions in and moving the seat back if it's legal so I'm in favor of unlimited extensions as long as the shifter has to stay stock to keep it reasonable. I don't want to give the wrong impression about halo seats however, I can get out no problem and if properly motivated, like on fire, I'll set a worlds record getting out!

I have a stack of collapsed bumper shocks at home and whenever I'm at a junkyard I grab as many as I can find. At Sonoma I did some light bump drafting with Javier and it made one go soft. Good ones are getting a bit harder to find but are shared with other german cars I believe but I'm all for allowing them to be modified by welding them solid or drilling(carefully!) them so they can be pulled back out to stock length. I like them giving in minor bumps but don't mind if someone else likes them solid, besides when was the last time someone was checked for illegal bumper shocks? Stock bodies but welded solid won't gain much weight savings.

Re: Official Rules Change Proposal Thread 9 years, 5 months ago #18630

You'd be surprised how much weight comes out by gutting the bumper shocks. We all did it in Cup racing and I think it was 7 LBs per 2 shocks or 14 LBs off the the car! I say leave the bumper shocks alone.

I don't know what to say about the dyno except that if you are going to live by the dyno, then you should die by the dyno. What I mean is enforce the limit, end of discussion. If we have a cap in place, there should be no exceptions when someone fails compliance. I was average ~ 144HP/TQ at Sonoma which is crazy high when I've never showed over low 130's in my testing. BUT those were my own paid runs that I used to establish what that dyno would do and then turned my car down to below the limit using the FQS switch on "4". As a result, I was probably 125HP in the championship race. I was never compliance dyno'd. Tim did the right thing under the circumstances but we need to set a limit and that's it. You fail and you are DQ'd. If you want to run your car close to the limit, you take a chance on failing compliance. Scales have variance too but we never talk about letting people slide who fail the scales.

Pedals should be free for spacers and width mods as long as they are safe. The shifter staying stock limits your ability to move the seat back unless you are built like a chimp

Re: Official Rules Change Proposal Thread 9 years, 5 months ago #18638

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
My preference is "No New Rules"
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: Official Rules Change Proposal Thread 9 years, 5 months ago #18658

• Atteberry
  • Seasoned Racer
first off I am surprised it took Charlie so long to say "no new rules"
The dyne rule is fine leave it be. for the other rules they all seem to work just fine. so I guess I am in the no new rules camp.

Re: Official Rules Change Proposal Thread 9 years, 5 months ago #18672

• tcomeau
We need to ensure the dyno has been calibrated and the weather correction factors are accurate.
Charlie, why is your canned response always, "No new rules" when you can clearly see that the rules need help, e.g. cross drilled rotors being interpreted as drilling holes in the rotor hats, not the disc?
I question the motive behind your "no new rules" attitude. Please explain how this is good for the whole class?
Thanks.
Tim Comeau
SoCal 944 Spec #22 since Feb 2003.
Let's keep building it!

Re: Official Rules Change Proposal Thread 9 years, 5 months ago #18677

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
My rational is that the rotor drilling is all ready addressed with current rule set. We are not allowed to modify parts.

The dyno rule sucks but I dont see an alternative. There is no calibration for dynos. I called and checked with Dynojet about this 2 yeras ago. The results can be varied and we have seen that first hand.
So we have to accept whatever the dyno reads as the law from now on. This will require at least a couple of guys getting on the dyno on the test day of the next WSC/ESC to be sure we are not headed for a debacle.

IMO arbitrary new rules weaken the class. New rules need to be something that is really needed to save the class. Rules stability should be job 1.

Maybe we need to all do a little more self policing as well as competitor policing. Ask online or ask your fellow competitors at the track if you have an idea about something.

I know that Dan and his crew were deep into fixing the car alot of the weekend. So I can understand that it got put on the back burner since the single most important goal was to get on track. I was pitted next to Foxx the whole weekend and his car was up on jack stands many times with the wheels off and I never saw the rotors because I never looked. I would have certainly brought it to his attention that it appeared to be outside the rules.

Heck even ask a regional director
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion