Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Rule Change Requests for 2016
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Rule Change Requests for 2016

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 4 months ago #20271

• wera44
  • Junior Racer
If it helps you get to the class hp limit wouldnt that make all cars even? Maybe Im looking at it wrong but if everyone built to the limit the cars would all be equal power wise. My car only made 129hp but I would like to get it closer to the class limit if possible, only reason I ask.

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 4 months ago #20272

I would prefer headers be allowed over a hanksville collector pipe. I agree that as long as you're under the cap, it should be allowed for the same reason the hanksville pipe is allowed.

I'm a no on wider and or lighter wheels. It's a distinct performance advantage and everyone will need to upgrade if allowed.

As far as the aftermarket wheel that Jason stanley has proposed, I vote yes simply because it offers no performance advantage.
If you're not first, you're last!

-Abraham Lincoln

2014 944 Spec Regional Champion
2015 944 Spec Regional Champion

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 4 months ago #20273

• 1M Fan
  • Junior Racer
1. I'm voting yes for wheels, but must be 7 inches wide and a minimum weight.
2. Voting yes for the safety foam. No competitive advantage and possibly safer.
3. Voting yes to filling fuel cells at the cell
4. Voting no to an open header rule, four into one headers will change the power curve and offer a competitive advantage.

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 4 months ago #20274

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
wera44 wrote:
If it helps you get to the class hp limit wouldnt that make all cars even? Maybe Im looking at it wrong but if everyone built to the limit the cars would all be equal power wise. My car only made 129hp but I would like to get it closer to the class limit if possible, only reason I ask.

Have you been to the dyno and done any tuning? Do you know what DME your FQS is set at? Have you done a recent compression test? Fresh plugs, cap and rotor?
Does your car have the late high compression pistons? Is your head shaved to increase compression?

These are things you need to know/do before adding a header.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 4 months ago #20275

• Atteberry
  • Seasoned Racer
So what you're saying Tom is any wheel goes as long as it's 9" wide? Do you know how much light wheels cost? You will very easily pay more for wheels than the car is worth! That would make my car uncompetitive and price me out and I'm sure I'm not alone.

At the 2014 nationals there were a bunch of guys hanging around my trailer that I didn't know and when I went to talk to them, it turns out they were Toyo reps and engineers and were looking at my spare tires. They asked a lot of questions about the tire and took some measurements and told me a few things. One of them was the tire was designed with our cars in mind, including wheel width so I don't think switching wheel width would be better.

Ron:
I think we should have a price governor to using other non OEM wheels as the class should try and control the racing cost. As it relates to weight if the max is 2600 ls.for the car then why have a weight minimum on the wheel as the car is weight controlled. I realize that if the wheel is lighter then the ease of turning given a fixed HP max has the potential to increase performance by some amount.

I did not know that Toyo had our class in mind with the spec tire we use. While I know you had just one engineer say that 7" wheel is fine and that 9" is not a performance pick up, is there anyway we can get a definitive answer to that questions. Who at Toyo could we ask I would love to know.

As it relates to moving to 9" wheel from 7" the trick is that everyone would need to move if there is a performance advantage, that is what lead me to think about cost and having that cost be same or very close to the cost of the preferred cookie cutter wheel we use today.

My thoughts were one that if we move it could be a inexpensive way to increase the performance of the car and keep us very competitive. This has the potential to increase interest in the class if we are heads above Miata and E30 in both the cost of racing and the performance of our cars versus those other classes. As it stands now I think as a class the group of drivers and the attitude and culture the class try to put forth is good gentleman club racing and is a good selling point for the class to new racers.

I understand the challenge of moving from a 7" wheel to a 9" wheel so maybe it is a rule change that takes effect in 2017 so we have a year to find the right wheel either off the shelf or manufactured that meets our weight, cost, offset specifications. All this said I would like to hear from Toyo on the performance difference between a 7" wheel and 9" wheel.

Ron hope to see you back on the track, great to see still active in class missed you last year. Hopefully this helped explain my thought on the wheel suggestion.

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 4 months ago #20276

• wera44
  • Junior Racer
My motor is fresh has probably a season worth of races and track days. Good compression and all the things that could be done legally already done to the motor. Motor I believe was built by Joel Barber.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds