Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

2017 Rules Proposal Thread
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 5 months ago #21218

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
The shift lever assembly is still available as a special order part for $190 brand new on Pelican Parts. I couldn't find the bushing alone for sale anywhere. When I did find it, it was listed as discontinued. I think we established last year that the bushing was most of the problem.

www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info2/477%20711%20103%20D.htm

A word on the Miata and E30 shifters. The Miata is 10+ year newer technology and likely an adequate design to begin with. Both transmissions are mounted directly behind the engine and right beside the driver which reduces the complexity and distance the shifter has to operate within. The equal era design of the E30 shifter was found to be inadequate for whatever reason, and Spec E30 decided to allow an aftermarket shifter. I havent driven any of them to know how they feel.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60
The topic has been locked.

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 5 months ago #21219

• tcomeau
The 1 prob I saw with the ram air rule is that 924S's don't have fog light holes. Norm is right in that the cars might make more power on track at speed (100 mph +) than on the dyno. That's a problem. I could go for returning to a stock airbox system. It dials out a variable. There are plenty and they're cheap.
I see Norm's point on the battery and he can run a stock battery, BUT my Odyssey 680 weighs 13 lbs and lasts at least several yrs. I shut it off between sessions. It's only about $120 my cost, roughly the same as a full size group 48 - stock size. I like that it is sealed and can't leak acid. It also has a metal jacket which is safer than a stock battery. Soooo, my Odyssey is WAY safer, just as reliable, costs about the same. I'd like to keep this a free choice.
Tim Comeau
SoCal 944 Spec #22 since Feb 2003.
Let's keep building it!

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 5 months ago #21220

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
moved to battery thread
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60
Last Edit: 7 years, 5 months ago by AgRacer.

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 5 months ago #21221

• tcomeau
Also, I'd like to echo Norm's opening thought, but also clarify it.
"Original intent: If it makes your car go faster, you can't do it, PERIOD."
I would say, "If it makes your car go faster THAN THE OTHER GUYS CAR, you can't do it."
We want equal cars, right? If not, you're in the wrong class. We want the driver and suspension set up to be what determines the winner.
If you're suggesting a rule change that makes your car faster than the others, it's already a bad idea because everyone else will have to spend money to match your gain. Just another friendly reminder...many of us have already tried "wallet racing."
Tim Comeau
Let's keep building it!

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 5 months ago #21222

• tcomeau
Regarding use of stock air boxes. I've seen many racers using a K & N cone type filter inside the engine compartment. This sucks hot air into your engine and results in a power loss. The stock system is actually a cold air AND high pressure intake system. I use stock MAHLE paper filters, too!
Tim Comeau
Let's keep building it!

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 5 months ago #21223

• Manuel_M
  • Junior Racer
www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-UIP-7-Lawn-...den-Battery/16782695

Pros:
$29 / ~18LB

Cons:
Better start within 3 cranks
Last Edit: 7 years, 5 months ago by Manuel_M.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds