Username Password: Remember me

2017 Rules Proposal Thread
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 5 months ago #21288

• dpRacing Dan
  • 944 Spec National Director
Atteberry,

I still dont understand why you guys insist on not using sliders. We just installed a set on our newest build and the seat moves atleast 12" backwards and forwards. I'm 5'11", and with the seat slid all the way back The pedals are atleast 4" away from toes. The sparco slider only added about 1/2", or .375" or .25 to whatever flat mounts you could possibly make.
That addresses egress. With the seat slid back into a comfortable position, the pedals dont need to be extended, even though the rules allow it. I dont really have an issue with extending the column to help driver comfort, there are plenty of steering hub extensions on the market that are simple bolt-on units. I dont really agree with having to modify the shifter to accommodate you sitting in the back of the car. If your pedals and steering column werent extended, wouldnt you no longer have an issue reaching the shifter? Again, these modifications are being requested because of a choice not to use sliders, not because there is no other safe option.
Just an FYI- I use a halo seat on a slider.
The topic has been locked.

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 5 months ago #21289

• cgktexas
  • Senior Racer
Dan, how do the sliders address having seat back braces?

My seat mount is fixed as is the seatback brace. Sliders are a non-starter there without a major change.
Curt King
Flying Penguin Racing
an OtterHouseProduction (www.otterhouseproductions.com)
Rockwall, TX
#14 1987 944 Spec - in work (and getting closer)
For His Glory Ministry
Lake Pointe Church
Upper Room Dallas
TJT
Autism Speaks

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 5 months ago #21290

• dpRacing Dan
  • 944 Spec National Director
Sliders are added for Halo Seats to aid egress. Halo seats are FIA so they do not require seat back braces or center window nets.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgktexas

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 5 months ago #21296

• Atteberry
  • Seasoned Racer
We considered sliders as an option when installing the halo seat and being sure to comply with the exit time from the car and concluded that a slider did not optimize the cars safety.

1. The slider raises the seat up making clearance with the cage less plus making exit of the car through the window more difficult.

2. In the event of a serious accident the floor of the car could become deformed. This can result in the slider coming out of alignment and not functioning.

3. In the vent of a fire or other need for a quick exit from the car a driver needs to perform the following: remove searing wheel, disconnecting belts, maybe disconnect cool suit, active fire retardant if fire is a potential, then slide seat back so as to exit. While the regulations state this needs to be done in 15 seconds in a fire condition ti may need to be faster, so why add another item to the exit procedure during a period of high stress.

Finally an FIA seat most have a back brace added in five years so a slider is not an option given that with a slider the seat must be replaced every five years. By placing the seat back next to or near the rear cage elements then at five years a brace could be added easily. This is far less costly than a new seat.

In the end after looking at all these factors we feel that bolting the seat to the floor as far back as possible to maximize the opening of the window area with the door closed is the optimum solution to the safety issue. This may require the adjustment of the shifter to make shifting efficient. (Well at least for me maybe I have alligator arms)

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 5 months ago #21297

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
I AGREE with your assessment about safety. And can't see a reason why this would be a problem. My car has a halo seat and a slider and there is no way I can get out of the car without the slider. I prefer the slider because I also run endureos in my car with other drivers.
My only concern is that the shifter can't be modified. It would require an ingenious solution to get the shifter where you would need it. But certainly a solvable problem.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 5 months ago #21298

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
Just for counterpoint, I have a full containment halo seat from Ultrashield and I am down in the thing.Personally I think we should require halo seats but that's another topic.

I got, by accident the 10 degree layback seat and it took a ton of work and fiddling to get it in the right spot so that i was comfortable, could reach everything and still safely get in and out. Now I'm not as tall as Tom, but this may be a disadvantage as I have to be closer to the wheel which gives me less space to get out of the window.

After getting it right, without pedal spacers but with a couple of wheels spacers, i can get out quickly without taking off the steering wheel. It took a lot of practice but it's worth it. It can be done, and hopefully you won't have to do it more than once for real if at all!

The biggest hangup on my setup is that the HANS and shoulder belt get tangled up and catch on the halo portion. I solved this by using surgical tubing attached to the belt and the roof so when I unbuckled, the belt pulled away quickly. I've since taken that off with the new belts but it is an option.

Also, they consider, as do I, your coolsuit connections as breakaway and will let you disconnect them prior to testing you getting out of the car, at least they do up here.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds