Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Rule 13.3.1 "Short Shifters" are not allowed.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Rule 13.3.1 "Short Shifters" are not allowed.

Re:Rule 13.3.1 "Short Shifters" are not allowed. 15 years, 1 month ago #3656

• Chris
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Schmores
My shifter has terrible, terrible slop, yet I've never had a problem missing shifts or gears. Is this rule change really necessary? Id rather just replace a bushing to fix the slop before we let the noobies think they have to buy a short shifter to win.
Chris

NASA Rocky Mountain Region
#2 blue/ yellow 1985.5 944 (sold)
new car- 2006 late model howe chassis road race stock car.

HPDE 3 Group Leader

Re:Rule 13.3.1 "Short Shifters" are not allowed. 15 years, 1 month ago #3657

This is good, constructive input - thanks all.

As I see it, the problem is the need to have a workable, affordable solution for shifter wear. We've got some time to do some research on our options, as rules are still frozen this upcoming year. We'll put this on the list of issues to solve and consider for the 2010 rules.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re:Rule 13.3.1 "Short Shifters" are not allowed. 15 years, 1 month ago #3658

• Weston
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Destroyer of Chris
Seems to me that just figuring out a bushing replacement solution would still be cheaper and better than adding another performance part to everyone's build sheets. $99 here, $99 there, adds up pretty fast. Besides, Chris does pretty well with his "hotdog down a hallway" shifter, so it's not like this is that big of a problem.
#22 - Red 1983 Porsche 944 - Rocky Mountain

944 Pics & Video

Re:Rule 13.3.1 "Short Shifters" are not allowed. 15 years, 1 month ago #3659

• dmdirks
New OEM shifters are cheap!

Here is an article on reducing the slop in the shifter rod using some inexpensive bushings: www.dietersmotorsports.com/tech/tech-july-03.htm

A new shifter plus this repair will do the trick for about half the cost of a short shifter.
David Dirks
www.944MotorWerks.com
2010 944-Spec National Champion
Rocky Mountain Region

Re:Rule 13.3.1 "Short Shifters" are not allowed. 15 years, 1 month ago #3661

Hal,
Jim Foxx talked to me a bit about this issue. In the 2009 revision we clarifed that you can make changes to stock shifter that improve feel. However you many not reduce the throw at all. So you can infact replace all the parts in there, but in the car the distance of throw of must remain the same. Ie the same arm movement from 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd to 4th.

Over the years I have found that what makes the linkage sloppy is nearly always the joint between the shift lever and shift rod. This is the joint under the shift boot. Make sure that is positive with no slop and the shifter works great again. Often time you just need to replace the lever, but in some cars the ID of the rod is worn too. The best thing to do there is probably a sleeve repair of that ID or a replacement rod from a parts car.

If course you also need to be sure the bolt at the tranny end where the rod attaches is good too. Even so wear there is often a result of errors when doing a tranny change vs normal wear and tear.

Even then we have an issue at PIR due to the track layout. Shifting into 5th exiting the over at 1 g side load can be difficlt. Over the years I myself have missed the twice and got 3rd. Lucky for me I was able to keep the revs below valve contact point. So my point is that is shift I always need to think about a bit or wait till I get down the straight a bit more.

BTW... Yes I have replaced a worn shift lever. Twice in fact. Once with used and once with new.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Rule 13.3.1 "Short Shifters" are not allowed. 15 years, 1 month ago #3741

• Gary_44
  • Seasoned Racer
While we're on the shifter subject...
Are aftermarket fireproof shifter boots legal?
\"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.\"
--- Ernest Hemmingway
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds