Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

pump gas ...
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: pump gas ...

Re:pump gas ... 14 years, 11 months ago #4567

• Big Dog
  • Banned
I believe our rules prohibit changing the timing?

Is that correct, Joe?

It seems to me that we want to prevent changing that and leave gas open so keep it simple. If a guy thinks it can help save his engine, why not? Lower cost means fewer problems.

To me, that is why it makes sense to open up the radiator rule to allow guys to do whatever they think they need to do to protect their engines. If, as Joe says, a good stock system works for him and another guy thinks a turbo radiator is needed for his particular car (even if he only thinks it), why not let him do whatever he wants about the radiator or gas? If it is not a performance advantage, make it open. I certainly don't see a need for an expensive race car radiator but don't have a problem if someone else wants one for some reason since it is not a performance issue.

Jim
Jim Foxx

Re:pump gas ... 14 years, 11 months ago #4577

It's not just octane that's at issue. There are all sorts of exotic fuels that could make more power - just ask the Spec Miata guys - hence their "P.O.G." (plain old gas) campaign. I suport some sort of gas pump gas regulation. 87 octane may be an issue, but premium should not be with a legal motor.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re:pump gas ... 14 years, 11 months ago #4580

• Weston
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Destroyer of Chris
Big Dog wrote:

Most common and direct methods (DME remapping, offset cam keys, etc) are clearly illegal, and the FQS switch wont advance timing either, but there are several different stock DME programs out there (update/backdate rule), and there are a number of other variables involved in DME operation too.

I will be doing some testing with a datalogger and a wideband to see what I can find. I just wish I had a way to log actual ignition timing while running the car at full throttle... that could really clarify things pretty quick.

Sterling Doc wrote:
It's not just octane that's at issue. There are all sorts of exotic fuels that could make more power - just ask the Spec Miata guys - hence their "P.O.G." (plain old gas) campaign. I suport some sort of gas pump gas regulation. 87 octane may be an issue, but premium should not be with a legal motor.

Yup, good point.
#22 - Red 1983 Porsche 944 - Rocky Mountain

944 Pics & Video
Last Edit: 14 years, 11 months ago by Weston.

Re:pump gas ... 14 years, 11 months ago #4589

• GaryM05
  • Senior Racer
Yeah, non-POG is a big problem in the Miata class – in addition to the HP issues, lots of those guys complain about the bio effects of driving behind somebody running non-pump gas (watery eyes, burning throat, etc. from the emissions of a car in front running non-POG.) It would be nice to not have to worry about that in our class, while learning another lesson from the Miata guys who have gone through this before us.

If we were to do a rule requiring POG, we would likely also need a way to police it. So, we might need some kind of fuel test port requirement, along with a reliable testing method (chemical kit, etc.)
Snyder Motorsports #10 944 Spec

Re:pump gas ... 14 years, 11 months ago #4592

Big Dog wrote:

Is that correct, Joe?

Jim

Yes,
Must be stock.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:pump gas ... 14 years, 11 months ago #4594

• Big Dog
  • Banned
If there was a gas rule, we would need to have something like the SCCA fuel sampler port and test stuff to check it at the track. The port does cost some money to install.

One option would be to allow any street pump gas and any "standard" race gas but prohibit anything else.

From what I understand, the exotic stuff does have oders associated with it. If a car is protested, a fuel sample can be obtained without a fuel sampler port, it is just a little more trouble. I would think that this has NOT been a problem in our class, to date. With that said, limit the gas as I suggested above, no fuel sampler port, and get a sample if someone protests a car's fuel. I would guess that we would not have any protests as our class seems to be intent on staying inside the rules so, simply mandating pump or race gas would be enough to stop anyone from playing with the exotic fuel additives.

My 2 cents.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds