Username Password: Remember me

Lets allow Fuchs
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Lets allow Fuchs

Re:Lets allow Fuchs 14 years, 10 months ago #4615

• fishguy
  • Comp School
Big Dog wrote:
Dave Hauck, the Southwest Series Champion, just weighed a cookie cutter and an early phone dial. The phone dial was 3 lbs heavier than the cookie cutter! Fuchs are lighter than cookie cutters.

Big Dog

12 lbs of unsprung mass is a huge diifference.
with my formula car there are guys who spend a lot of $ to eliminate unsprung mass in small amounts because it makes a big difference in handleing.

12 lbs (of UNSPRUNG mass)on a car is a big advantage from what i have learned vs a car that doesnt have the weight reduction.
I would think that since cars like the later models that cannot use the cookie cutters should have something to offset this difference. maybe having the older cars being 12 -25 lbs heavier to offset this advantage would be something to consider?

(how) can the later model cars be modified to allow for the use of the cookie cutters?

Re:Lets allow Fuchs 14 years, 10 months ago #4618

• 944cer
  • Seasoned Racer
I can't see allowing Fuchs. Unsprung, rotating mass is not the same as adding weight the chassis even if it is more. I don't see how it could be made equal.

Re:Lets allow Fuchs 14 years, 10 months ago #4629

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
No new rules!!!!

Want to see a class die? Start making a bunch of new rules.

RULES CREEP = DEAD CLASS

Spec Miata has had very little rule changes. It is what keeps it strong.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

blah blah blah

Charlie Buzzetti
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re:Lets allow Fuchs 14 years, 10 months ago #4633

• bay924s
  • Comp School
Hey Charlie...From your other post...I get you feeling you don't want any new rules

I'm with you..

Steve
Steve Huey
Norcal #106 and sometimes #95 1/2

Re:Lets allow Fuchs 14 years, 10 months ago #4636

Any changes would have to be for a good reason otherwise less change is better.

Re:Lets allow Fuchs 14 years, 10 months ago #4638

I have stayed silent on alot of these rules since I wanted to allow some open discussion. In this case I want to add in why the rules are as they are.

Back in 2002 fuchs wheels were considered desireable. Desirable for both looks and on track performance mostly by 911 guys. Cookie cutters were trash can garbage wheel of the day. Nobody wanted them and you could not give them away. So they made the ideal 944 spec wheel. However they don't fit the late offset cars properly so we had to allow phone dial. Phone dials were another unloved wheel so that was fine. Of course once you allow late offset phone dials there is not reason to not allow early offset phone dials.

As such the rule was set. Now on specifics on the fuchs that made the no wanted in the class.

1) Desirable for 911 and 944 for appearance - drives up used costs.
2) considered the lightest and strongest wheel for track use makes them instantly the "wheels to have" and drives up cost.
3) Even stock there was no "clean set". Stock they were optional at 15x7 23.3mm offset and 15x8 in 10.6 mm offset. So you would still need to sell of the 8's or if allowed then everyone would want the 8's instead of the 7's. Yeah that just drove up costs even more.

So we said no to fuchs in 2002.

So my take is no to fuchs in 2010 and beyond. I can only see bad things with fuchs.
Cons
1) More cost to get "competitive" wheels due to real weight and percieved advantage. Remember even your car had them stock you would still need to buy wheels as I can't see allowing the 8's ever.
2) Greater gap between early and late offset cars. Late offset guys already feel hosed with phone dials so why make it worse.
3) More challenge in tech to spot the 15x8's vs the 15x7's.

Pro's
1) 4-5 guys can use a few 15x7 fuchs they have stored up.

Seems like a loser in most areas.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds