Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Rear trailing arm pick up points wallowed out
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Rear trailing arm pick up points wallowed out

Re:Rear trailing arm pick up points wallowed out 13 years, 11 months ago #7391

Big Dog wrote:
There is no process to protest after the fact. I believe the protest period is 30 minutes after the race.

I don't think that is the case. Even well after 30 mintues if something is found penalties can be applied. That maybe the case for race conduct, but not for car tech.

For example.. what happens if we learn some guy was using a 2.7L motor all season long and set 10 track records? At a miniumum all results are suspect.

Point is the Race director/Regional director is given a wide latitude to deal with this stuff.

Personally I will not decide what or if any penality should be applied. Not my region(s). I do know what I would do for Az region.

Still Charlie has done the right thing in noticing a problem and making us aware of it. I too have doubts on what impact that would have on handling, but it is very clear that it was done on purpose. I can only assume it made the car better. Why else would you do it?

Well see what happens with replacment carrier. Charlie will still be fast. However seeing that in the car would make me look very closely at the rest of the car. If that part was "adjusted" what else could have been adjusted? Maybe nothing, but it makes the car suspect. Also now that Charlie is aware of one irregularity that was sort of his "free pass" so to speak.

Anything else found not meeting the rules will not be looked on so keenly going forward. So go through the car now and check it out to be certain the car is fine. As we know at Nationals they check for things and quite frankly I have one more check to add to impound list now.

All the t-bar carriers are interchangeable. Their could be a differnece in crash tabs (these mate with the torque tube to prevent it moving in crash), but they should all work together.

The spring plates are different for aluminum vs steel trailing arms, but you will need to swap t-bars anyway so make sure you swap the right spring plate.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Last Edit: 13 years, 11 months ago by joepaluch.

Re:Rear trailing arm pick up points wallowed out 13 years, 11 months ago #7392

• sagoston
  • Junior Racer
Big Dog wrote:
There is no process to protest after the fact. I believe the protest period is 30 minutes after the race.

I'm still a bit new and honestly don't know, so I ask. If this is indeed the case, I see no point talking about potential penalties at the discretion of a regional director. Sorry Joe, I simply don't think it's fair to start talking about SoCal/Az regions and what should/would be done.

cbuzzetti
I'm not sure the trunk monkey is going to like that.

Don't crowd trunk monkey, he might get angry and tell Tim about your other cheater parts

Charlie, let me know if you need the part. It would be great to see what difference this part actually makes. But it's probably too much of a pain to change at the track...

Re:Rear trailing arm pick up points wallowed out 13 years, 11 months ago #7393

sagoston wrote:
Big Dog wrote:

I'm still a bit new and honestly don't know, so I ask. If this is indeed the case, I see no point talking about potential penalties at the discretion of a regional director. Sorry Joe, I simply don't think it's fair to start talking about SoCal/Az regions and what should/would be done.

Here is the rule in 2010 CCR covering this.
------
17.7 Class Rule Compliance
Each competition vehicle must conform to a published set of rules for its class. Any
competitor found to have qualified or raced a competition vehicle found to have
unauthorized modifications may be penalized.
NASA Impound Inspectors will determine
legality of modifications to competition vehicles. Any modification(s) to performance
items, whether it is a performance advantage or not, will be termed “illegal,” and
subject to penalties.
Performance items are those items that, if modified, could
potentially increase performance. For example, a missing headlight would not
necessarily be considered illegal, and normally, the competitor would be required to
make corrections without penalties. Class rules supersede rules found in the CCR
anytime that there is a conflict.
-----

There is a 30 min period for one competitor to protest another competitor for that race. However Section 17.7 is always in effect.

Also,

21.7 Lap Record
A lap record will only become official when the NASA office publishes it with as the
“Official Lap Record.” A lap record will only be valid when set during a race. A lap
record set with a vehicle that has been found illegal in impound for that race, will not
stand.

-------

Look the point here is if something is found illegal at any time things can be done. As for assiging penalties the opprotunity is there. I am not going to say what needs to happen in So-cal. It is not my region. I can offer what I consider is the legality of the area in question on the car. I alos really apperciate that Charlie has notified us publicly of an irregulaity in the car rather than cover it up. That means he is a good guy. I respect that alot and still respect him quite a bit.
Joe Paluch
Last Edit: 13 years, 11 months ago by joepaluch.

Re:Rear trailing arm pick up points wallowed out 13 years, 11 months ago #7394

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Changing at the track is not a good plan. It is possible but a bad idea. Ebverything would have to go exactly right and we know what the chances of that are. Slim to none!!!

It will either be replaced before next event or I will have washers welded in place if I cant get it replaced before then.

I have no issue with what is being said. The reality of this is that the car need to be brought up to Spec. I would rather race a legal car.

What Tim and Ryan decide to do is up to them. I will accept whatever the call is. The real race is the Nationals. That is what all this is for anyway.

If the car is suddenly 2 seconds slower at WSIR and nobody else is then we will know that the slotted hole is a performance advantage. But what if the car goes faster?

If it turns out that the slotted pick up point is a performance advantage then we may want to consider allowing that next year in the rules. No reason to not go faster for something that is so low cost. design parameters will need to be set. But let's cross that bridge when we get there.

(Don't crowd trunk monkey, he might get angry and tell Tim about your other cheater parts)

First I have to find them
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re:Rear trailing arm pick up points wallowed out 13 years, 11 months ago #7395

cbuzzetti wrote:
If the car is suddenly 2 seconds slower at WSIR and nobody else is then we will know that the slotted hole is a performance advantage. But what if the car goes faster?

If the car goes faster you say... Thank you Joe for telling you it was wrong. Then go on to win your 2nd National Championship.
Joe Paluch

Re:Rear trailing arm pick up points wallowed out 13 years, 11 months ago #7396

• tcomeau
Hey guys,
The reason the pick up points are slotted is to raise the pick up point in the chassis. You can lower the car more without getting wild camber travel. We used to do this on full-race 911's.
I don't want to see this mod in the rules. I'm interested in near STOCK cars, not evaluating roll centers, etc.
Thanks for bringing this out, Charlie. Let's get it fixed. I always have torsion bar tubes available. I know this car is new to you. Please groom it well and make it comply with the rules.
Tim Comeau
SoCal 944 Spec #22 since Feb 2003.
Let's keep building it!
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds