Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

3 peice crossmember
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 3 peice crossmember

Re:3 peice crossmember 13 years, 11 months ago #7491

fishguy wrote:

why would NASA not allow this part on a car?

If the rules do not expressly say it the rules don't allow it.

That said the reason we would not allow it is a performance gain (we need to show/prove there is not one and some are easier to prove than others). Like I said it was discussed before and I need to dig up that discussion before I go any father.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:3 peice crossmember 13 years, 11 months ago #7493

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Yearly rod bearings???

I don't see the need for that.

It only takes a few bolts to remove the stock crossmember anyways.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re:3 peice crossmember 13 years, 11 months ago #7504

Here is a link to some prior 944 spec discussion on this.

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=19947&hilit=crossmember

Seems like while discussed there has never been any offical rulling on this or attempt. Currently as stated it would not be legal since the rules do not expressly state it. However if it really does not improve performance and only helps maintainability it may be a reasonable allowance.
Joe Paluch

Re:3 peice crossmember 13 years, 11 months ago #7505

• JRichard
  • Senior Racer
joe,

thanks, I had a line on one and since I was going to replace both the front end and the rod bearings I was thinking about it while I was in there, but given the uncertanty of it I think I'll just hold off...

The yearly rod bearings were suggested maintenance item by exotic that built the motor, my last set that came out looked pretty good, but then I've had two #2 rods fail over the years so maybe a belt and suspenders solution or I'm just gunshy...

Re:3 peice crossmember 13 years, 11 months ago #7506

Chanigng bearings will always been a involved job. Not super hard like turbo, but still work. Steering rack and front sway bar wil always need to come off. Then you either put the hoist in and drop the crossmember or split it. I am not sure you can get by without supporting the motor with a 3 piece unit.

the come the 22 bolts on the pan and etc...

Once year may be more frequent than some, but given what can happen I am not going to call any one silly for doing it that often.
Joe Paluch

Re:3 peice crossmember 13 years, 11 months ago #7510

• fishguy
  • Comp School
joe,
i know first hand that you do NOT need to support the motor to do the rod bearing change with the 3 piece unit. you simply remove the center secton, and Steering rack and front sway bar.
with this item i change out my rod bearings anytime that i zing the motor on an overrev.
its about $100 and a few hours of time with the car on the ground. i have yet to do this job with the car up on my lift, but that will be even easier.

as i said earlier the only thing i found a bit tricky was getting the center part back in, but with a woodworking spreader, it went right in with ease.
i have never done the job with the one peice crossmember so i cannot compare the difficulty of both, but i certainly dont dread doing the job with the car how i have it.
the other nice thing is that i have a spare set of bearings with me at the track, so if my oil pressure drops, my weekend is not over, i can simply swap out the rod bearings, and most likely be back on track for the race, which is what we all want anyway, right?
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds