Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

2011 changes?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 2011 changes?

Re:2011 changes? 13 years, 7 months ago #8212

Norm - one more try/clarification on the equal power thing.

Truely equal power is not possible, without new, sealed motors like the MX-5 cup does. No an option for us.

"Close" power is a good goal. Then the question becomes two fold.

1) How close can we reliably measure/split HP "hairs", and how much HP is a "significant" difference (and to whom)

2)How much cost, complexity and pain is involved in the reality of implementing and regulating this on an ongoing basis

#1 is tough because dyno variations are as big as what's a significant difference in our low HP cars, and TM data is worse yet. Hard to equalize a moving target.

#2 is really messy, again because we're trying split pretty fine hairs, and adds cost to everyone on an ongoing basis (once a year plus random checks for protests, compliance).

We don't want someone to get caught out because they changed their dirty air filter since they did their official dyno, and the dynomometer that day is a little optomistic (or they changed to thinner oil because it's fall now, or their motor is hotter that day, etc., etc). Suddenly they are 7 HP up on their last dyno, and illegal, even if they're only making 135HP now. They're "equalized weight" was based on the old 128 HP reading they did 8 months ago with the dirty air filteer, thicker oil, etc.. Now they're branded a "cheater." Not a good scenario, and not unrealistic at all. Living under this kind of threat is not good for morale either.

Make sense?
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 13 years, 7 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re:2011 changes? 13 years, 7 months ago #8213

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Makes sense.
Jim Foxx

Re:2011 changes? 13 years, 7 months ago #8214

Shoot ! I typed up a long response and it did not post ...

I will hack at it after my flight but .

Bless your heart Norm for wanting better for 944-spec.

Dirks is a PRO at building 944-spec engines.

If we need a rule change it will happen or worse it will not happen.

Re:2011 changes? 13 years, 7 months ago #8216

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
Could we persuade Dave to do a write up on garage rebuilding ? I feel comfortable replacing the rod bearings but would love to have some guidance on doing a full rebuild. (I have the factory manual and could follow that - but advice from someone who's been there before would be great).
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re:2011 changes? 13 years, 7 months ago #8223

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
So Chuck are you saying that Dirks is a PRO at building 944 engines?

If yes, then his motors are PRO built.

This in turn means that his motors would not be allowed in Spec.

As you can see this is a slippery slope.

Any person with knowledge can build a PRO motor in their garage. Ther is no away to regulate the engine building. Nor can you elimintate any builder from building an engine for anyone.

Any person building a motor in their garage will at some point send the block or head or both out for cleaning, machine work etc. Does this now become a pro motor since a shop touched

It is a natural progression for cars to get faster in racing. These cars are a long way from being fully developed in Spec944 trim. We have a lot of new drivers that still have lots to learn as far as race craft goes. The fastest car will not help them, only track time, testing and learning about racing will make them faster.

The difference between 1st and 3rd at the Nationals this year was setup. That was worth 30 seconds by the end of the race. We had quite a few fast guys in the field this year but for many different reasons they did not finish on the podium.

Just the way it goes sometimes.

Norm, I want the cars and drivers to be equal but it is just not realistic. We do this because we are tinkerers. We like to make our cars better and within the rules.

The REWARDS Weight system that World Challenge uses may be the best way to try to equalize the cars.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re:2011 changes? 13 years, 7 months ago #8225

JerryW wrote:
Could we persuade Dave to do a write up on garage rebuilding ? I feel comfortable replacing the rod bearings but would love to have some guidance on doing a full rebuild. (I have the factory manual and could follow that - but advice from someone who's been there before would be great).

Jerry,
I have had success building to the factory manual. I don't consider myself a pro builder by any means (only build for me.. no "customers")

Instructions are simple. Take the engine apart and clean it. Take the head off and take it your head guy and he should clean it and deck it flat. I never decked to min only to making sure it is flat. Then rebuild following the manual. Re-ring if you want. Break in for a reringed motor is key. The method uses alot of on thorttle and the backing off creating compression braking to seat the rings. It can be done in 20 mintute session on track. Then you are good to race. Don't do an extended low power run to "break in" new rings.

Oh and don't touch the bores. Leave them be.

That is home garage rebuilt that just about any one can do.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Last Edit: 13 years, 7 months ago by joepaluch.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds