Re:Who's going to Llihrednuht? 14 years, 11 months ago #4601

• pixrken
  • NorCal 944-Spec Director
Ron's writing a report.
--Ken

Re:Who's going to Llihrednuht? 14 years, 11 months ago #4607

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
I'm having email trouble so I can't send a race report, AT&T is working on it but we know how incompetent their employees are!

Saturday it was Spy vs Spy. Black car vs White. Brit vs American! There were only 2 of us so we had the track to ourselves, or so we thought! NASA combined all race groups for practice except formula mazda. That put over 100 cars on track for warmups! Traffic was crazy and we never got clear track to lay down a good time. I did a 2:22 and Jerry did a traffic clogged 2:27. Qualifying was much closer with me taking pole. We started with a group of miata's and at the drop of the green we caught a bunch of them napping. I tried an inside move but was shut out so I moved outside only to be squeezed within inches of the pit wall! I was committed so I had to stay on the gas and finally passed a few cars by the first turn. Coming out of the second turn(15) I ran wide into the dirt and gave back a few spots but still had a miata between Jerry and I. I was able to open up a sizeable lead for most of the race but Jerry started laying down 2:21 laps and closed the gap. Late in the race we had a lot of local yellows, at one point 4 corners had cars in bad spots, which helped bunch us back up. At the checkered i was able to hold off Jerry who finished at my bumper!

Sunday we had Dan Lofgren with us who finished his licensing test Saturday and was cleared to race. Jerry grabbed pole by .031 seconds over me with Dan close in third. Jerry was penalized 2 spots however for crossing the blend line at pit in. That put me on point with Dan next to me and Jerry behind. We started with the SU cars and had a clean start. I got out to a comfortable lead with no real drama with Dan giving chase. After a few laps I saw a white 944 parked in the infield and knew Jerry's electrical gremlins were back. That left Dan and me to battle it out. I was leading handily for most of the race but as Dan got more comfortable he started catching me but he didn't have enough time. I got my my second ever win!

After the race in tech the 944's were chosen for a random safety check. They checked our safety gear, including Nomex socks, and also they timed us for exiting the car with everything on. Ten seconds was the bogey, I did it in 6.85 by pure luck but Dan wasn't so lucky! He's a very big guy and couldn't get out very gracefully and was a little slow. They gave him another try and he was able to unfold his giant frame in 6.9 seconds. Quite a feat!!

It was a great weekend and I'm looking forward to showing off my "winner" stickers next race.

Ron

Re:Who's going to Llihrednuht? 14 years, 11 months ago #4608

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Way to go, Ron. Two wins. Fantastic.

I guess I will have to see how fast I can get out of my car. 10 seconds huh. Did they put a helmut bag over your head?

I am looking forward to seeing you guys at the end of June. Jerry, get that car working right. I don't want to see you out of the races.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re:Who's going to Llihrednuht? 14 years, 11 months ago #4609

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
I'm trying. I have developed a heat related electrical problem. Symptoms are as the car gets hot the electronics seem to be stumbling, leading to hesitations and eventually a stall. Once that happens the battery no longer has the power to crank the starter and gets me towed off the track ! A new (full size group 41) battery added after the first occurance still had the problem, however once back in the pits adding a jump box allowed the car to start.

1st thing I'm going to look at are the Battery/Alternator/Starter wires and connections followed by the engine grounds. Possible could be a heat soak coil but that doesn't explain the starter not cranking.

Any other ideas are welcome
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re:Who's going to Llihrednuht? 14 years, 11 months ago #4616

Congratulations Ron on the 2 first place finishes. Damn, that's 200 points you've just earned Also 2 winner stickers that I have yet to earn even one

Great mini report. Sorry to hear about your car problems Jerry. Glad to see we have another 944 spec racer joining our group. See you guys at Infineon.
Window Tinting
Paint Protection
Vinyl Graphics

Re:Who's going to Llihrednuht? 14 years, 11 months ago #4617

Ron is tied with me in the points standing after 4 races. But that's ok because I have been secretly working on my car and making it into the most awesome 944 spec car ever.

Ron can no longer tease me about being tilted to one side because I had Art reindex my torsion bars and after the help of Rick and Steve a couple of weekends ago, my car is corner balanced to even better than yours.

Also sent my car out to Motorsport Techniques to get a custom alignment so I don't have anymore excuses for being slow except I have little kahunas
Window Tinting
Paint Protection
Vinyl Graphics
Moderators: tcomeau
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds