NASA California North Region Website

nasanorcal.com/

TOPIC: Thunderhill with Lotus Club 7/14/2009

Re:Thunderhill with Lotus Club 7/14/2009 14 years, 9 months ago #5148

• fishguy
  • Comp School
cameron,
I race in the Az region.
I used to race SM with SCCA. the SM class is not really a cheap route to go racing if you want to be up front. the pro motors being expensive, as expensive as my formula ford motor to rebuild(~$7-8K).
I sold the SM to get into formula fords, but that got a bit pricey as well since the same deal, you need a pro built motor to run up front, and it needed to be rebuilt every ~40 running hours.

I now am racing spec 944. it was a great choice, the people, as said before, are fantastic, and the car feels very safe(as big dog said earlier, get a good seat, and HANS) and robust, yet is fun to drive on the track.

the cars are not expensive to buy already built.

the most appealing thing to me about the class is the availablity of parts. I picked up a complete running and registered street car for $1500 to disassemble and will have spare............everything.
it has a good running motor , a working gearbox, and all the body parts/suspension, everything...........$1,500.

In AZ it the largest class in NASA, as well as SCCA.
was really a no brainer of a class choice.

Re:Thunderhill with Lotus Club 7/14/2009 14 years, 9 months ago #5151

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
Ron, I appreciate you describing me as only "a little odd". I try to live up to expectations. I believe a bumper overlap may have to be in your future <grin>
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552
Last Edit: 14 years, 9 months ago by JerryW. Reason: spilling

Re:Thunderhill with Lotus Club 7/14/2009 14 years, 9 months ago #5158

Gary_44 wrote:
which NCRC event are you doing? I'm planning to do a couple more of their events this year. If you are at the same one, I have no problem swapping cars with you for a session so you can get the feel of a 944. It's not a fully prepped Spec car, but it's stripped and prepped safety wise, and has a passenger seat. A few more little things and it will be Spec legal.

Gary,
I am registered to run with NCRC on Sunday Aug 30. My dad and I are waitlisted to run on Saturday instead (I dislike the bypass), if enough spots open up for us to both run on that day. That probably will not happen, so we'll almost certainly be on Sunday.

I am not sure about events later in the year. My dad and I are both going to be teaching this coming school year, so probably no weekday events.

Re:Thunderhill with Lotus Club 7/14/2009 14 years, 9 months ago #5161

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
JerryW wrote:
Ron, I appreciate you describing me as only "a little odd". I try to live up to expectations. I believe a bumper overlap may have to be in your future <grin>

Take off those monstrous tow hooks and then we'll be on fair ground!

Re:Thunderhill with Lotus Club 7/14/2009 14 years, 9 months ago #5163

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
That's the point of the tow hooks - keep the pinyatas (or others) from bumping
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re:Thunderhill with Lotus Club 7/14/2009 14 years, 9 months ago #5165

• Gary_44
  • Seasoned Racer
Cameron,
I'm doing NCRC's Friday track days at T-hill and Buttonwillow, probably Laguna too. Opposite of your schedule, oh well.
\"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.\"
--- Ernest Hemmingway
Moderators: tcomeau
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds