Shaky Wheel
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
NASA California North Region Website

nasanorcal.com/

TOPIC: Shaky Wheel

Re: Shaky Wheel 13 years, 4 months ago #9316

• Big Dog
  • Banned
I replace the rear bearings on a new build as a matter of course to make sure they are fresh starting out. I have not had to use a press. We have been able to use a drift punch and work it out that way. It takes some time but avoids the need for using a press.

To install the new bearings, we took one of the old ones apart and used it, since it is the same size, to drive the new bearing in. We did not use the dry ice method to shrink it and it did go in without undue effort. Again, it just takes time to tap it in a little at a time.

I hope that helps for anyone that does not want to go the press route.

Jim
Jim Foxx

Re: Shaky Wheel 13 years, 4 months ago #9320

I agree it could be done that way but I've had one or two that were VERY tight going in even with a press keeping everything square. I also use the old bearing to finish off the new bearing installation like you said.

The dry ice will still help get the new bearing in even if you use Jim's method. For a couple of bucks at the local grocery store, it can save a ton of effort. Just throw them in a cooler with covered in dry ice for a couple of hours and you will be amazed how much easier it is.

Re: Shaky Wheel 13 years, 4 months ago #9338

Okay, I'm going to take it to either Art or to Evil Genius (they don't specialize in Porsche, but they're good, and they're more local).

I'm presuming I don't want to flat tow it on the bad bearing (any more than I already have), and should probably borrow/rent a trailer or tow dolly. Unless I should just not worry, because the damage is already done.

Would putting the rear wheels on a tow dolly give me problems with non-locking steering hanging out behind?

Re: Shaky Wheel 13 years, 4 months ago #9340

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
If you need a trailer, mine's available if your can can pull it

Re: Shaky Wheel 13 years, 4 months ago #9341

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
I would like to pass on some info about this situation.
The car I currently own had a similar situation during the last owners stint.
We were at Las Vagas Motor Speedway and when he had the car up in the air he noticed that ther was some play in the ar wheel. He determined that the nut was tight and went out for his next session. The next turn after going around the banking the stub axle broke and the wheel left the car.
The only symptom he noticed was the small amount of play in the rear wheel.
This could have ended very poorly had this occurred on the banking.
The car is an 88 924s.
I would look far another complete rear contol arm and replace.
I now check the play in all my wheels every time the car is in the air.

Your call but I know what I would do.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion