Username Password: Remember me

944 Questions??
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
NASA California South Region Website

nasasocal.com/
  • Page:

TOPIC: 944 Questions??

Re: 944 Questions?? 13 years, 2 months ago #9624

I did the intro to road racing at bondurant racing school and thats about it. I'm more of a desert racing guy and race motorcycles and would like to get into buggies but its way to expensive, so my dad suggested trying road racing.

Re: 944 Questions?? 13 years, 2 months ago #9625

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
It's all good. Probaly not as exciting as off-road but plenty fun.

Let us know if we can help with anything.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: 944 Questions?? 13 years, 2 months ago #9628

Sounds like you have some basic car driving skills, but could use seat time on road course.

Now getting a license is one thing and being effective in a race is another. NASA's method of getting comp license takes some time, but will leave you ready to be on the track with other racers. Being on the track in race group is not the best place ot learn lines and things. That is best done in the HPDE groups where you spend all day lapping the track and can focus on that.

So step 1.

Do you have track worthy car? NASA requires a standard road car at minimum, while SCCA comp school requires a log book prepared race car.

Step 2. Take a car to the track and get seat time. The biggest differene between desert racing and road course is in desert stuff you mostly racing terrain and the clock. Most of the time not many other cars around. In road course racing you are racing the other cars. The track is just where it happens and the clock is only partially important. So in road racing you already need to know how the car handles on the track with little thought. This frees your mind for racing the cars around you. If you need to speed time lean how the car responds on the track you should do DE where you back to just you and track. There are cars around you, but all you need to do is just keep out of each others way.

Step 3. Once comfortable in the car at speed on track you ready to race. Keeping the car on the road at high speed should be pretty basic for you now and you will be ready to run hard with your competition.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re: 944 Questions?? 13 years, 2 months ago #9654

• Fooshe
  • Comp School
The big difference you will find from bondurant, skip barber and the like is that they teach you some basic skills and driving the line. There is SOOOO much more to road racing than driving "the line." In fact, I will say this, in a spec class, you will drive the line maybe 50% of the time.

If you want basic car control, Joe is right, you need to get some spacial awareness and improve your visual technique. In the spec class, you will have cars around you most all the time and you want to comfortable and predictible in that situation. There are some drills to do and things to practice to get used to this quickly. Again, as Joe stated, you don't want to be learning about your car on race day. The people around you will also appreciate that, too.

Also, there is nothing like a rolling, green flag start. You will want to experience that before you do it for real. It is absolute chaos at times and something you have to do to really understand it.

I seriously recommend the Driving Concepts race school. There, they assume you know the line and how to drive. They will help you have a successful race weekend in genereal. They will have you in close quarters, practice real green flag starts and simulated race situations, including flags....which is invaluable. They draw from years of sprint and enduro racing to help you learn form all the mistakes others have made before you. They will help you learn that your race starts before you get to the track and the value of preperation and much, much more.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the school. It is really worth every penny!
Last Edit: 13 years, 2 months ago by Fooshe.

Re: 944 Questions?? 13 years, 2 months ago #9655

I will definitely start looking into this and go from there, sounds like alot of fun.
  • Page:
Moderators: tcomeau
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds