Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

GT3 seat acceptable?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: GT3 seat acceptable?

Re: GT3 seat acceptable? 11 years, 1 month ago #15658

If it's not on your NASA regions web page, contact your regional director out there to find out. In the end, you are probably OK by my reading of the rules, but it's not my call. If you can get a tech sticker from any of the tech shops, than you are good.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: GT3 seat acceptable? 11 years, 1 month ago #15659

• 993innc
  • Junior Racer
Well I found and talked with the chief tech inspector. He wasn't to keen on the idea without knowing if the seats have any kind of rating to them. I don't know what type of shop he runs but he clearly didn't know what seat I was talking about so that's not reassuring. He wants me to call PCNA and find out if they can define whether or not its rated in any way and if so get something from them. If I can, he'd approve it with a back brace.
The seats are okay for Red group DE group, but if you call the session a "race" somehow it's no longer acceptable......?

Re: GT3 seat acceptable? 11 years, 1 month ago #15663

If you don't ask and you have a back brace, I don't think you'll have an issue with NASA.

This is your personal safety so I think you should be the harshest critic on whether they are safe.

Re: GT3 seat acceptable? 11 years, 1 month ago #15667

• 993innc
  • Junior Racer
Well, I apparently would have an issue if a NASA chief tech inspector says he would have an issue with a non FIA/SFI seat. I used it for 5 years in my 993 but never had an issue that would test it. Not being a seat engineer I don't know if it's "safe" or not. Porsche sells the seat in Europe for their cars.....does that mean its safe? I don't know.

Since the car I'm looking at has already been tech'd, does that mean I can use it until the next tech and take issue with it when it comes up?

Is a thin aluminum Kirkey seat any safer that a thick fiberglass one piece seat?

Guess I'll have to call PCNA next week and see what they say.

Re: GT3 seat acceptable? 11 years, 1 month ago #15668

I just meant that I doubt anyone would specifically check the seat as long as it has a back brace. I don't believe aluminum seats are certified to any standard.

I don't know what crash standard Porsche engineered that seat to meet but my guess is that it is pretty high. Maybe Porsche engineering would comment? You could probably sell those seats for more than a true FIA seat would cost you.

Re: GT3 seat acceptable? 11 years, 1 month ago #15670

• 993innc
  • Junior Racer
Oh now that last comment I agree with. I think they sell for close to 3K new! And these are the rarer Perlon not leather covered ones too. I be so disappointed if I can use it. I love the feel of the seat, fits me perfectly! I just gave away a Kirkey seat I had sitting around for years! Never fails!
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds