Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Perplexing Dyno Results
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Perplexing Dyno Results

Re: Perplexing Dyno Results 8 years, 8 months ago #19540

Dan, how long after the race were you tested, and did your HP stabilize through the runs?
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
The topic has been locked.

Re: Perplexing Dyno Results 8 years, 8 months ago #19541

• afonseca
  • Junior Racer
Sterling Doc wrote:
Alberto - it looks to me like your 944 may not have been very well warmed up on the test runs. Each dyno pull gained quite a bit of power (>2HP, and climbing) - indicating it was getting stronger as it ran more. When you see this in testing, you can't assume the motor has reached it's potential. We use thick oil, and the gearboxes also sap more power when cold. This is why the rules are written to allow pulls until the motor's output stabilizes. This may take a while, and we have seen 944's in particular gain power as they get hot over the years of testing...

Both on Friday and Sunday there was a bit of a wait at the dyno and both days I was actually in the car keeping it warm and watching temps and can say they were very close. I recall Tim mentioning he thought the car's water temp was running hot but that's what it looks like on track for me.

Also, at Auto Club they moved us off track and onto the dyno pretty efficiently I thought. Jim, Simon, and I all dynoed back to back with the cars hot off the track. Simon went first, Jim offered to let me go second since I had another race to make, and he went third. Both Jim and Simon ran high and I got the numbers that you see are close to what I got on Friday at Laguna.

Maybe my car needs to be really hot to stabilize; I don't know.

#44 Alberto Fonseca
? Region

Re: Perplexing Dyno Results 8 years, 8 months ago #19542

• afonseca
  • Junior Racer
jivenjim wrote:
I enjoyed seeing you on and off track Alberto. You seem like a good guy. I am not aware of anyone that thinks your are purposefully trying to skirt rules.

Thanks Jim, I appreciate that. I think the drivers are all sensitive to the dyno issues and I'm the newest to learn about the perils of not spending time/money there. The NorthWest region is pretty new and we've never dyno'd up here so it wasn't until I went out to California that I became initiated.

jivenjim wrote:

Now for your numbers I must say they were unexplainable because they were low Friday...

Test early and/or aim for 136 ave rather than 140 or you are gambling. And no, that does not explain why dyno number went up...?

Yes, with my inexperience at the dyno I assumed that because the numbers from Friday were similar to what I saw at Auto Club (under 130) that I was "good to go" for the weekend. I guess I should have plunked down some cash for a dyno on Saturday and another one Sunday morning before the race to be sure...

#44 Alberto Fonseca
? Region

Re: Perplexing Dyno Results 8 years, 8 months ago #19544

I'd agree it's it's a larger swing than typical. Transmission temp play a role here too. The take away point for testing is don't be done until you see the numbers stabilize or go down for a run or two. You need to be sure the testing reflects the car's potential, not just where it's at in the moment. No one knows where your car would have ended up with further testing, we only know it wasn't done building power. I think this is one of the perils of the "three run" compliance check, especially for our cars. In my experience, the dyno guys will work with you if you explain the issue and point out power is still climbing.

Again, no one is doubting your diligence, and it is something good to know for all. It is unfortunate that this caught you out, to say the least. The good news is that you have a very healthy motor. At 123-127HP, I'd be concerned about the health/tune of the motor.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Perplexing Dyno Results 8 years, 8 months ago #19546

• afonseca
  • Junior Racer
Sterling Doc wrote:
The take away point for testing is don't be done until you see the numbers stabilize or go down for a run or two. You need to be sure the testing reflects the car's potential, not just where it's at in the moment.

Thanks you, I have a lot to learn about working with the dyno. Is this something that we should include in the rules and clearly define stable numbers and that dyno tests showing power increasing by a certain amount between runs should be invalidated instead of averaged? We have the 5 run option in the rules but it's not a requirement to ensure a reflection of the car's potential as I read it.

#44 Alberto Fonseca
? Region

Re: Perplexing Dyno Results 8 years, 8 months ago #19547

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
Pull your parking brake on a couple of clicks before the pull, problem solved
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds