Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Nationals 944-spec schedule - *TENTATIVE *
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Nationals 944-spec schedule - *TENTATIVE *

Re:Nationals 944-spec schedule - *TENTATIVE * 14 years, 10 months ago #5031

• Big Dog
  • Banned
No battle, Charlie. Just make sure your camera is pointed ahead so you can watch me for a couple of turns.

Jim
Jim Foxx
The topic has been locked.

Re:Nationals 944-spec schedule - *TENTATIVE * 14 years, 10 months ago #5038

bpanther wrote:
We have just converted some of the practice time into more qualifying and race length based on feedback that qualifying sessions were too short.

In the end this deal.

in 2008 and prior years and number 15 min sessions were used to get cars on track. This combined with 40 min races and a short clean up in between allow all races groups to run on the same day. It was tight, but managable.

At Miller there is on relaity that cannot be escaped. Lap length

944 spec tiimes at Mid-Ohio were 1:44 or so. At Miller even on the 3.0 mile track that same car is to 2:20-2:25. That means 30 seconds more per lap. What does that mean? In 15 minutes allowing for 1 warm-up and 2 cool down lap (est 2:35 seconds each for "fast cooldown") you only have 10 mintues for actual track time. That comes to about 4-5 laps maybe. That is just not that many laps. So you really need 20 min sessions to claw back 2 more laps.

Plus during a race one double yellow takes longer gather the field so you need that extra 5 mintues per race. Then if you consider a clean-up between races. 5 mintes is barely enough time to get a safety truck around the track and be able to rope tow in wounded car. If that car can't roll it will take much longer than 5 mintues to clean up.

So that is why things had to be moved around. I don't like the fact that the "practice day" is gone, but once I looked at the session times it became clear to me there was just not the hours in the day to do it anyway differently and still provide some usable track time for each racer.

Now I have not decided if I will supersize or do the wedensday practice day.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
The topic has been locked.

Re:Nationals 944-spec schedule - *TENTATIVE * 14 years, 10 months ago #5062

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
IMO we all have the same advantage/disadvantage. Some learn tracks faster than others, some have been to this track before.
In the end you still have to drive your car the best you can and minimize mistakes. It is not the fastest lap that wins the race. It is the best managed car that is well driven for the entire race.
To me the Supersizing option is the way to go. Lots of opportunities to test and tune without adding a day to your schedule.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion