Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

New Track Record at Miller for Norm Hamden
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: New Track Record at Miller for Norm Hamden

Re:New Track Record at Miller for Norm Hamden 14 years, 7 months ago #5644

Thanks Joe,

I will trade my fast time for Charlie's first place!

Dave Dirks is wicked fast, it's just now becoming a tradition for me to have him on video in front of me driving off of the track so I can pass him, thanks Dave, your so cool! A couple of months ago at MMP Dave ran 218's on 888's! I am pretty sure that if we were all there at that time we all would have run similiar times, lots of variables seem to effect our times. So looking at morning sessions or even a previous month doesn't mean there is lots of time left on the table, it is what it is during that session!

There are lots of fast cars, Saturdays big race had 11 cars within 1 second of the fastest lap time.
Norman #99
Last Edit: 14 years, 7 months ago by norman#99.
The topic has been locked.

Re:New Track Record at Miller for Norm Hamden 14 years, 7 months ago #5663

• dmdirks
Hey Norm,

Been away for a little while & just read your post. I'll take a compliment like that from you any day!! Just wish we could race together more often. It's always a highlight of my race season when we do.

BTW- is your race video posted somewhere? I feel like goofing off at work today.
David Dirks
www.944MotorWerks.com
2010 944-Spec National Champion
Rocky Mountain Region

Re:New Track Record at Miller for Norm Hamden 14 years, 7 months ago #5665

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
I figured that when Joe and I ran in the 19's on Sat AM we were the cars to beat. Boy was I surprised when I found myself in 6th place after the first turn.

No doubt Joe was the car to beat in the main event. I am not sure who lead the most laps (Norm or Joe). But I know I was just trying to stay in contact with the lead pack.

It would be great to see addional video footage from any cars. I know Foxx had a camera. I would like to see the pass at Attitudes from his car.

Joe did you have a camera?
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re:New Track Record at Miller for Norm Hamden 14 years, 7 months ago #5666

• sagoston
  • Junior Racer
My in car videos are up on youtube:

www.youtube.com/sagoston

Re:New Track Record at Miller for Norm Hamden 14 years, 7 months ago #5667

No camera in my car. I think I maybe able to budget for one for 2010. We shall see. I now have to focus on my regional series. I am first in overall points, but 2nd (30 pts) back when drops are considered. I need to take the fight to Rich Geisler to make up those points over the last 4 races. Rich has no more drops to use so I have an edge there. Austin is on my butt too. So it will be an intersting final 4 races in Az.

I officially lead 8 of the 16 laps. I lead the first one after I passed Norm in Tooele on the opening lap. He came right back however and had run down the main straight on my on that first lap and passed me into turn 1. I was then behind him for 5 laps. I then lead the next 7 laps till Charlie pass Jim and me in the attitudes in the final 10 minues. Charlie then lead the final 4 lap to the checkers.

I think part of the reason I lost was my mental prep was not good enough. My goal for the event wa to run in the lead pack. Knowing I needed to run faster than last year I focused on dailing in the car all weekend long. Starting wedensday I was looking each session for a bit more speed. Thursday's race gave me some confidence that I could run with the lead pack. Friday's 9th to 13th back to 9th showed me that I NEEDED a good start to have chance at being in the top 5-6 cars.

Saturday warm up was a shock with that 2:19.282. Great single lap time, but that lap time was useless if I lost 4-5 positions at the start. Till that point I had run 6 races at Miller and 5 of those I had lost postions on the start. So I focused on getting a good start and figured the rest would just happen.

So I got a fantastic start and had room to use it being on the outside. Plus Steve Agoston's tap shoved me forward even more. So by going into turn 1 I was in spot to challenge Norm a bit, but pretty easly tuck in to 2nd. From there I figured I would just take what came to me.

So the pass on the opening lap just came to me. Norm had a slight bobble and took advantage. Norm then came back as expected and I slotted in to 2nd agagain. Then he pulled a gap and then I closed it up. By then I knew I could run with the lead pack, but had no idea how it would end up.

So then I get run on Norm and figure I will try a pass. It worked and I was in the lead. 2-3 corners later I pulled a small gap and then about 1 lap later my mind got to me.

It was flipping amazing not just staying with the lead pack, but leading it and pulling a away. WTF I had not lead Norm in race in well... ever! Frankly that thought had never crossed my mind. I look at my stopwatch showing total race time and I knew I had too much time left. However with all the open space infront I found it hard to be perfect on my brake points and in general got a little sloppy. My mind wandered about maybe I could win, what would I do? All this did was cause me to loose a little focus and it enough that you guys chasing were able to chip away and close up. Once that happened I had to fight for my life to stay in front.

I think I did a pretty good job, but what really hurt was the tag team stuff. Looking at the various videos it became clear that most passes were a result of a failed pass move by the car in front. In the end I did all I could, but no dice. Even so coming in 4th only 2.5 seconds back after 38 minutues of racing is pretty good.

Lesson learn however is that if I EVER find myself leading again I must remain focused and not to into protection mode. That might not have stopped you guys, but it could have given me 1-2 more laps clear running which could have saved me a spot or two.

Who knows... Still I was very happy that I made a good showing of it. Like I said my main goal was to be competitive with the lead pack. Even if that meant 10th place. So 4th place, fastest lap in practice and leading half the championship race counts as doing pretty well.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Last Edit: 14 years, 7 months ago by joepaluch.

Re:New Track Record at Miller for Norm Hamden 14 years, 7 months ago #5668

• dmdirks
Someone offered me a camera for the main race, but since SpeedcastTV said they were putting one in my car I turned it down. And of course Speedcast ran out of time to install it...

I slapped myself in the forehead pretty hard when I saw Charlie's video...when I lost two spots at the bottom of The Attitudes. D'OH!!!
David Dirks
www.944MotorWerks.com
2010 944-Spec National Champion
Rocky Mountain Region
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds