Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Cheating?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cheating?

Re: Cheating? 11 years ago #15608

911s seem to do OK with weight way out back

My car likes rear weight bias or at least my driving style likes rear weight bias. It helps braking for sure. I'm not sure I'd run a 40 LB (?) spare tire, but I do run my cool suit cooler in the spare tire well.

As for centralizing weight, it should give faster transition but it actually makes the car more prone to spin. Now once the weight is moving in a spin, the weight on the ends will make it more likely to continue. Thus the 911 mantra, never lift!

Re: Cheating? 11 years ago #15609

Ken, I didn't see your post until after I posted, sorry for the redundancy. Your point on the pendulum issue does make sense and has been proven many times in 911's, with the motor hanging behind the rear axles. Proven lots of times with me driving
Norman #99

Re: Cheating? 11 years ago #15610

That's funny Steve, I didn't see your post either until after I posted and we both brought up 911's.

I went from a racing a 911sc to driving a 944spec with no break in between, I found the 911 was way easier to spin.
Norman #99

Re: Cheating? 11 years ago #15613

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
Two different opinions from three of the best spec 944 drivers out there! Now what do I do?
I'm sticking with the nitrous bottle back there!

Re: Cheating? 11 years ago #15616

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
My point is that we dont have that many drivers with high skill levels. This is true with most all amature racing. You have a few guys who posess that higher skill level but no where near the professional level.

As an example I just got done reviewing my DA from last weekend at Buttonwillow. I set a new track record that would have been broken with the RR tire since it was 10 years old, we just had not run that configuration in a long time. I ran faster laps in practice and qualifying according to the timing system at the track. But what my DA did show was that I would have been a 1/2 second faster if I did not make one mistake on my next fastest lap. Now based on the DA from that lap I still made multiple errors so my theoretical best was almost 2 seconds faster that my best lap.

So does having the perfect setup and weight balance make the car faster? Yes of course it does. But we can go faster by improving our driving than we can by adding HP or perfect setup. At least in my opinion.

So sure chase the perfect set up and max HP. But the biggest gains will come from the connection between the gas pedal and the steering wheel.

It sounds like Steve and I have both come to the same conclusion. The 944 likes rear weight bias. Hmmmmm.......
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: Cheating? 11 years ago #15617

• ioport
  • Comp School
cbuzzetti wrote:
So sure chase the perfect set up and max HP. But the biggest gains will come from the connection between the gas pedal and the steering wheel.

No argument there!

cbuzzetti wrote:
It sounds like Steve and I have both come to the same conclusion. The 944 likes rear weight bias.

I'm sure that is true, although I am still playing around trying to figure out what the car and I like best. The scales, however, show that it wants it in the right rear like all other cars.
Ken Myers
I/O Port Racing Supplies
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds