Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Steering wheel quick releases - best value/$?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Steering wheel quick releases - best value/$?

Re: Steering wheel quick releases - best value/$? 13 years, 5 months ago #9114

• GaryM05
  • Senior Racer
944Racer72 wrote:
Gary, That one looks nice. What does the steering column adapter look like? Where does one acquire it?

I've been very happy with it. The hub adapter can be found here (note that these are car-model specific, so it'll be important to specify make/model/etc when ordering):

ltbautosports.com/momohubadapter.html

A quick search on ebay for something like '944 steering wheel adapter' would probably return some hits with pretty good pictures, but it's basically a piece that bolts under the single nut at the steering column, and includes an offset piece of metal with the Sparco/MOMO-standard 6-hole bolt pattern to either bolt an aftermarket wheel or a quick-release adapter to.
Snyder Motorsports #10 944 Spec
Last Edit: 13 years, 5 months ago by GaryM05.

Re: Steering wheel quick releases - best value/$? 13 years, 5 months ago #9115

• GaryM05
  • Senior Racer
B1BFlyer wrote:
The NRG and LTB releases are less than half the cost of the Momo quick release. Any opinions on the less expensive ones being just as good as the Momo?

I've never used a Momo quick release so I can't really comment as to the quality difference, but these things are generally pretty simple from a mechanical standpoint. Unless there's some specific difference in terms of materials that might affect the longevity of the quick-release mechanism itself, or possibly the potential wear surfaces along the splines, I'm not sure what kind of actual difference there might be.

Re: Steering wheel quick releases - best value/$? 13 years, 5 months ago #9116

• B1BFlyer
  • Senior Racer
Gary, since you mentioned splines,

According to MOMO,

"The advanced design allows only one way of installation so that there is no more fumbling of trying to line up a spline design. The MOMO system will also not gall like a spline design does after hard use."

If none of that is really a problem for our cars, then I'm not interested in paying twice as much for something.
Ryan Peterson
Abilene, TX
924s, #21

Oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers.

Re: Steering wheel quick releases - best value/$? 13 years, 5 months ago #9117

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
The LTB Gary shows above is very similar to mine.
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re: Steering wheel quick releases - best value/$? 13 years, 5 months ago #9118

• GaryM05
  • Senior Racer
B1BFlyer wrote:
Gary, since you mentioned splines,

According to MOMO,

"The advanced design allows only one way of installation so that there is no more fumbling of trying to line up a spline design. The MOMO system will also not gall like a spline design does after hard use."

If none of that is really a problem for our cars, then I'm not interested in paying twice as much for something.

That's interesting - I wouldn't call it a fumbling-heavy process to line up the splines; it's actually pretty easy! I've also not seen any noticeable galling, so I don't think that's really something to worry about. If it were me, I would save the money by avoiding the MOMO, and put it towards something like a Traqmate, a more comfortable seat/harness, etc.

Re: Steering wheel quick releases - best value/$? 13 years, 5 months ago #9120

GaryM05 wrote:
it's basically a piece that bolts under the single nut at the steering column, and includes an offset piece of metal with the Sparco/MOMO-standard 6-hole bolt pattern to either bolt an aftermarket wheel or a quick-release adapter to.

Since I already have the Momo wheel, I have an adapter. I assume this is the same one you are talking about and therefore I only need the quick release?
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds