Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Question about rod bolts
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Question about rod bolts

Re: Question about rod bolts 13 years, 3 months ago #9570

I would guess that the Porsche bolts are very high quality but perhaps not to the ARP standards. If anything, I'm guessing the ARP version is going to be slightly heavier.

One way or another, I can't believe there is a performance difference. Reliability would be the only improvement I see possible.

It will be interesting to see what cgtexas finds out about availability of replacement bolts.

Where do you draw the line the replacement hardware? If I need to replace damaged head studs and use Gr 8 hardware in lieu of factory hardware, have I violated a rule? What about other bolts on the engine or other places in the car?

I think the concentration here should be on rotating mass and preventing people from reducing the mass of the rotating assembly. Other than that, quality of hardware used should be free IMHO.

Re: Question about rod bolts 13 years, 3 months ago #9572

944Racer72 wrote:
...Where do you draw the line the replacement hardware? If I need to replace damaged head studs and use Gr 8 hardware in lieu of factory hardware, have I violated a rule? What about other bolts on the engine or other places in the car?...

Rules state the following and describe the intent and how to validate an aftermarket part.
2 General Rules
2.1 Parts
All parts must be stock from one of the eligible year models, except where otherwise noted. Aftermarket parts designed and sold as direct replacements for stock genuine Porsche original equipment parts with no change in performance or weight may be used and will be considered “stock” for the purposes of these rules. Subsequent sections of these rules which specifically state “genuine Porsche OE” will allow use of only original factory produced parts or genuine Porsche OE replacement parts. This is intended to allow general use of non-Porsche branded replacement parts in place of genuine Porsche parts in non performance critical areas to reduce costs. Aftermarket parts that are sold and/or designed as improvements to factory parts are not considered direct replacement parts for the purposes of rules compliance.

Also general bolts will be treat with basic common sense. Hardware with in the engine will be consider with more detail. Remeber upgrading for relaiblity is some what slipper slope. We have done what we can in the rules to address the known issues in reasonable cost effective fashion. By this point the rules are some 8 years old and nearly all of know issues are addressed in the rules. We do not have specific allowance for certain parts because stock works in those areas. If you see something that is needed for reliablity, but is outside current allowances we can discuss and evaluate it based on the normal rules change process.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Last Edit: 13 years, 3 months ago by joepaluch.

Re: Question about rod bolts 13 years, 3 months ago #9598

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
WOW!!!

Too early in the year for rules creep.

Is there was a weak link in theses engine we did not know about?
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: Question about rod bolts 13 years, 3 months ago #9599

• cgktexas
  • Senior Racer
Was really just checking before I used them as I had some I picked up cheap. Wasn't asking/looking for a rules change, just seeing if they were allowed in the existing ones.
I didn't want to run afoul of the rules. It just surprised me that you can't find OEM bolts.
Curt King
Flying Penguin Racing
an OtterHouseProduction (www.otterhouseproductions.com)
Rockwall, TX
#14 1987 944 Spec - in work (and getting closer)
For His Glory Ministry
Lake Pointe Church
Upper Room Dallas
TJT
Autism Speaks

Re: Question about rod bolts 13 years, 3 months ago #9601

cbuzzetti wrote:
Is there was a weak link in theses engine we did not know about?

No, I believe the stock rod bolts are reliable. The question is whether they are available. If not, then an alternative replacement is needed.

I have no interest in a new rule to allow ARP bolts if the OEM can be sourced for a reasonable amount.

Re: Question about rod bolts 13 years, 3 months ago #9607

Pelican lists more than 100 of the OEM bolts in stock, so I don't see that as an issue at this point.

Though these bolts themselves are a very small issue, they do bring up the point that our rules once contained this statement:

In general, modifications which improve aesthetics, access to systems, safety or reliability will be allowed and encouraged provided they offer no performance advantage whatsoever.

If ARP rod bolts are the same weight, I would think they meet this standard, and cars were built to these rules. There are good reasons why this is no longer in the rules, but it does have a legacy, and "fixing" some of these issues, were it required, might be very difficult.

I suspect there are quite a few cars with this sort of hardware in them out there.
Something we'll need to chew on a bit...

The PCA added a rule for 2011 that specifically allowed non-OEM nut and bolt hardware, provided it did not weigh less than stock [likely to address this issue].
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 13 years, 3 months ago by Sterling Doc.
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds