Question about rod bolts
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Question about rod bolts

Re: Question about rod bolts 13 years, 3 months ago #9610

• cgktexas
  • Senior Racer
Sterling Doc wrote:
Pelican lists more than 100 of the OEM bolts in stock

Eric, shoot me a link...I have yet to find them doing a search on Pelican and other sites
Thanks!
Curt King
Flying Penguin Racing
an OtterHouseProduction (www.otterhouseproductions.com)
Rockwall, TX
#14 1987 944 Spec - in work (and getting closer)
For His Glory Ministry
Lake Pointe Church
Upper Room Dallas
TJT
Autism Speaks

Re: Question about rod bolts 13 years, 3 months ago #9611

• JB3
  • Junior Racer
Sterling Doc wrote:
Pelican lists more than 100 of the OEM bolts in stock, so I don't see that as an issue at this point.

Eric, where do you find oem rod bolts on Pelican? Just curious. All I can find are 'Raceware'. And I do not find rod bolts listed at any other of the usual sources.

Interesting to note that oem maintenance manual only requires replacing the rod nut and not the bolt. Also the factory parts manual (that I have at least) doesn't even show a part number for the rod bolt. Only the nut. However, they are getting old and I know a LOT of people and engine builders who do routinely replace the rod bolts. Am aware of some that have failed. That said, they failed in motors that were rev'd above 7000. A little bit does a lot in rpm. Course there's only 2 ways to get these motors above 7. Catch a bad shift; or mod the chip.

PS: somewhere or another someone was asking about sizing the rod big ends. That's a standard procedure used to get the big ends round (again) due to stretch over a long operating life. They end up original size but round. Normally the rod bolts would be pressed out and then material taken from both sides of the rod/cap joint. Bolts pressed back in and the whole assembly honed to size. It's at this point that a normal engine rebuild would use new bolts.
'JB'

Re: Question about rod bolts 13 years, 3 months ago #9618

Sorry guys - they have the OEM nuts, not the bolts - my mistake. That said, only rod nuts are required in the rebuild.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 13 years, 3 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: Question about rod bolts 13 years, 3 months ago #9619

• JB3
  • Junior Racer
Sterling Doc wrote:
Sorry guys - they have the OEM nuts, not the bolts - my mistake. That said, only rod bolts are required in the rebuild.

That matches commonly perceived wisdom on the subject: oem rod bolts are not to be had. So far as I know if you want new rod bolts it's going the be Raceware or ARP. Either of which are 'improved' over stock.

Eric, the maintenance manual calls for replacement of the rod nuts each time removed. Nothing about the bolts. So by silence the factory implies use em again.
'JB'

Re: Question about rod bolts 13 years, 3 months ago #9620

JB, thanks, meant to say nuts, but typed bolts You are again correct. Fixed it in my post.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Question about rod bolts 13 years, 3 months ago #9621

So what happens if you have a rod bolt that is no good due to dinged threads or some other reason? Toss the connecting rod?

I don't believe this is urgent but it should be considered for the next open rules time to explicitly approve or deny aftermarket bolts.

I can't imagine a performance advantage resulting for aftermarket bolts of like weight to OEM (unless someone is spinning their engine 8K RPM.
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds