Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

2012 Rules Change Requests
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 2012 Rules Change Requests

Re: 2012 Rules Change Requests 12 years, 6 months ago #11754

I've cross -posted & edited this from the requests/comments that Ed Baus made on the 944 forums earlier this year:

Crankshaft
The rules allow an additional rod hole for oiling. One of the successful modification that we had made with the extra cross hole was to enlarge the oil feed hole between the rod and main bearing, then tap where the plug was and install a threaded plug instead of crimped one. We found that the extra hole does not do much good without the larger feed hole to feed it. Is that permitted.

Engine and Transmission mounts
Did I miss it, or can we not run solid engine and transmission mounts. If not, why. They are not very expensive and create one less thing that can fail.

IAC Motors
I have never run an idle air control motor. Is an IAC part of the 'emission system' that can be removed ?

17mm vs 19mm ball joints
This is just a question. Why can we not use the larger 19mm when rebuilding if they are stock height. Yes, they add cost over just finding some more stock arms in good shape, but they offer no performance advantage, so why not allow them for people who want to spend a little extra to have stronger ball joints. (this coming from a guy who snapped a 19mm one this year)

Short shift trans linkage
Why can't we add these. They are cheap and easy to install.

Lexan hatches
I am in the 'do not change the rules' club. I have had both and I am thrilled to be going to a class that does not use them. They are flimsy at best and a pain in the butt. I am constantly waiting for mine to pop out and blow away on track even though I have straps running the length of the hatch. I would rather see permission to run fiberglass hoods (20lbs savings) instead of lexan hatchs.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 12 years, 6 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: 2012 Rules Change Requests 12 years, 6 months ago #11755

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Just a friendly reminder that "Rules Creep" is a class killer.

It is best to only fix what is really broken.

If you want to race a GTS-1 car then build one. I won GTS-1 Nationals at Miller with a Spec car. Granted there were only 3 cars in class but two of them were not Full Spec cars.

944spec is not for every region. It will flourish where it does not already have a competeing class.

There are only so many guys who want to race a 944, some will want to go faster than Spec.

Just the natural progression of things.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: 2012 Rules Change Requests 12 years, 6 months ago #11763

I would like to propose a change allowing the coating of our stock headers regarding rule #

12.7.1 The stock genuine Porsche OE exhaust manifold (header) is required. The stock header consists of two separate manifolds, one connecting cylinders 1 and 4 and the other connecting cylinders 2 and 3. Headers may be welded to repair cracks and headers may be wrapped with appropriate materials so long as the wrap is removable. Headers may not be coated or painted inside or outside.

I would like to see the removal of the items in RED and changed to allow headers to be coated.

Reasoning behind changing the current rule set to ALLOW FOR HEADER COATINGS:

1. Properly coated headers will reduce engine bay temps, lower engine bay temps result in a more efficient cooling system which will increase motor longevity.
2. Allowing Wrap but not coatings is confusing and no clear reasoning is behind this.
3. Increased motor longevity will reduce class costs
4. There is a safety concern regarding wrapped headers - contaminants may get into the wrap which may result in corrosion of header which would not be easily noticeable. Furthermore, contaminated wrap may cause a fire.
5. The cost of wrap is Approx. $80+ while coating is Approx. $100. having to unwrap and rewrap to check for corrosion once exceeds the coating which requires no additional costs to check.
6. The benefits of coatings vs. wrap are the same - we allow for wraps so logic dictates the allowance of a coating.

I would say that the wording of the change must include something along these lines: "The coating must be such that identifying the header as OEM must be easy (ambiguous?) and clear that the header is not A/M. A coating that masks the identity of the header is NOT allowed."

Thanks
- Blake

1988 Black Spec-944 #141 - McDonald's
Last Edit: 12 years, 6 months ago by 944sracer. Reason: Clarification

Re: 2012 Rules Change Requests 12 years, 6 months ago #11765

Thanks for putting this out there with some thoughtful justification. We'll see what the feedback is. Also, see my post on the your previous thread.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: 2012 Rules Change Requests 12 years, 6 months ago #11816

• tcomeau
I'd like to suggest allowing the use of 944 turbo oil filters. Stock is p/n OC 142. 951 is p/n OC 75. Physical difference is in length only. Benefit is more oil capacity and more filtration. Reliability is the goal here with "no performance advantage whatsoever." Cost is a couple dollars more per filter.
Tim Comeau
SoCal 944 Spec #22 since Feb 2003.
Let's keep building it!

Re: 2012 Rules Change Requests 12 years, 6 months ago #11817

• tcomeau
I'm not interested in solid tranny or engine mounts. They shake the hell out of everything and cause fatigue failures in the fuel rail, the oil suction pick up tube, etc....

Short shifters cost more money and force everyone to change to a quicker shifting unit. Right now, everyone shifts at the same speed and the stock unit comes with every tranny.
Lexan hatches cost alot of money. Every 944 or 924S comes with the stock glass hatch. I would love to lose 40 lbs off the top of my car, but it would be bad for the class I serve.
If an idea for a rules change costs alot of money or is trying to buy a performance advantage- please rethink it.
Tim Comeau
SoCal 944 Spec #22 since Feb 2003.
Let's keep building it!
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds