Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Rules Change Request Period is open for 2013 rules
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Rules Change Request Period is open for 2013 rules

Re: Rules Change Request Period is open for 2013 rules 11 years, 6 months ago #14273

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
I don't see how the headlight covers make a bit of difference other than continuity across the class. But then again, accusumps are legal and not everyone uses one. Its a matter of preference and time available. I would prefer to cover my headlight holes with a piece of sheet aluminum because I also like the look of a well placed row of rivets. Maybe thats the aviator in me talking. I highly doubt there is a performance advantage. If it were that big of a deal to remain looking stock, then why do we allow people to gut/fabricate new dash panels?

We do also need to be careful on changing rules to accomodate those that decide to do something first, and ask forgiveness later just because there is a decent sized group doing it. It would not be good to set that precedent.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: Rules Change Request Period is open for 2013 rules 11 years, 6 months ago #14282

• GaryM05
  • Senior Racer
I don't really have a comment on the headlight covers, other than to say that if we're spending 6 pages arguing about a rule change regarding headlight covers, the class must be in pretty good shape!
Snyder Motorsports #10 944 Spec

Re: Rules Change Request Period is open for 2013 rules 11 years, 6 months ago #14283

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
GaryM05 wrote:
I don't really have a comment on the headlight covers, other than to say that if we're spending 6 pages arguing about a rule change regarding headlight covers, the class must be in pretty good shape!

Wait for the threads on what really matters. We'll run a book on the page count for those.
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re: Rules Change Request Period is open for 2013 rules 11 years, 6 months ago #14288

Maybe I missed it but I have not seen tires (i have only had 1 cup of coffee this morning so apologies if I missed it).

TIres: new toyo RR tires.

Cost only up $8 a tire so it is a small increase

Performance- supposedly better and the cars will be a little faster! The wear has been decent on the tires.

Re: Rules Change Request Period is open for 2013 rules 11 years, 6 months ago #14290

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
joecycles wrote:
Maybe I missed it but I have not seen tires (i have only had 1 cup of coffee this morning so apologies if I missed it).

TIres: new toyo RR tires.

Cost only up $8 a tire so it is a small increase

Performance- supposedly better and the cars will be a little faster! The wear has been decent on the tires.

I think NASA is pretty much telling us that were running on RRs next year.

Reference section 14.9: is Rims even a word? I live in an Army town where Soldiers like to throw away their money. I know of a few places just off post in the old part of town where I can get some shiny new rims. I dont think they make RRs in dub sizes though.

I also dont want to suggest a change but maybe rather propose a placeholder for future research. Along the lines of allowing an accusump, I think some research should be made regarding transaxle oil temperatures and what we can do to possibly cool the oil and/or help lubricate the ring and pinion gear. It was mentioned in another thread of installing a pump that directs a steady stream of oil on the ring and pinion gear plus incorporates a cooler. I think there is already some data being collected on oil temps, but if there were potentially a cheap cooling/lubrication mod for the transaxle I think it would greatly increase the longevity of some of our gearboxes especially since these things are so expensive to rebuild.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: Rules Change Request Period is open for 2013 rules 11 years, 6 months ago #14293

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Headlight covers - I have found that I put my hand on the headlight covers frequently when leaning over the engine bay and have bent the al. brackets down a number of times because of that. I have no problem allowing this change for those that want it but agree that they should be painted.

As for allowing changes "after the face", that was done with the air intake system so it is not a big deal, IMO.

Why not go ahead and allow trans coolers and oilers with the new rule change. It does not seem to be a performance advantage. I would like to see a very detailed "How to" that goes along with the change to make it easier for those of us that have never opened up a trans to do it. Something with detailed part numbers, sources for parts, etc. rather than just a "drill and tap a hole and put a fitting in".
Jim Foxx
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds