Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Dyno Cap for 2013 944 Spec
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Dyno Cap for 2013 944 Spec

Re: Dyno Cap for 2013 944 Spec 11 years, 5 months ago #14565

Wow, you guys took the forum down for a while !

BIg Dog. I can't tell wether you favor the "move to last" vs. DQ or not?

We have a 10 point dyno procedure. It is very specific, and will go up once we decide this issue.

The reference DME's were used as a screening to look for aftermarket chips - if things changed a lot, we looked inside the DME. We found one aftermarket chip - it had no RPM limiter we could find. The dyno procedure will have specific on RPM ranges for testing, and RPM limits.

We want to know what HP your car is making on the track at that point, not what it could make with further tuning. We will not be using dyno numbers using alternate ECU to determine compliance with the cap. Cars will be dyno'd as they came off of the cap. BTW, the max variation we saw so far was 2 HP.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 11 years, 5 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: Dyno Cap for 2013 944 Spec 11 years, 5 months ago #14566

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
I would say run the car as delived by the driver as it comes off the track(Hot/Cold/Whatever), if it goes under then they are good. If it is tested right after it comes off the track then that is as it was raced.

cbuzzetti wrote:
Excellant points Big Dog!!

A defined testing procedure should be in the ruleset and public knowledge.

I had mentioned this in another thread but it pertains to this as well.

The transaxle fluid temp will alter HP results. It is a heavy oil and if you only warm up your engine off track and then go to the dyno as opposed to comming off the track after a session the results will be different. I dont have any data to support this but how could it not affect the results with a heavy gear oil, we know what light engine oil does.

So do we need to have a minimum transaxle temp?

I know that some SM guys will run the lightest oil possible in their engine and gear boxes to get the best HP to the ground and are willing to sacrifice longevity in the process.

I agree with Foxx that we need to have a very defined testing procedure for dyno pulls with all possible variables considered.

Such as:

SAE correction
Smoothing factor 5
Engine oil temp
Transaxle temp
Maximum RPM
4 gear only pull
30 psi tire pressure with Spec tire

This is not a complete list, please add your additions and comments so that we do not make a boondoggle of this. A narrowly defined procedure will be best for the class.

I would rather not have any dyno rule but of we are forced to have one then it needs to be a well written rule with no loopholes or omissions that would cause a competitor to be accidentally DQed.
Old Racer!
Last Edit: 11 years, 5 months ago by joeblow.

Re: Dyno Cap for 2013 944 Spec 11 years, 5 months ago #14568

It is all in there except trans temps. These are hard to measure accurately on the dyno. To help deal with this issue, we will do some practice pulls until HP stabilizes, then run the 3 certification runs. Those will be final.

Once we decide on this issue, I'll get the whole procedure up. Rest assured it's very detailed. It takes points from all of existing dyno certification rules from other classes, and addresses some issues unique to our class.

Warming the trans is an issue to remember when doing your own testing, as well. Once HP stabilizes, you'll know everything is up to temp.
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Dyno Cap for 2013 944 Spec 11 years, 5 months ago #14569

joeblow wrote:
I would say run the car as delived by the driver as it comes off the track(Hot/Cold/Whatever), if it goes under then they are good. If it is tested right after it comes off the track then that is as it was raced.

Joe, cars sometimes have to wait for a time, while others are dyno'd, and cars can cool down during that time. I'm not going to have guys fighting over who goes last, nor am I going to put a cold motor under a full bore dyno run. There will be nothing left random in the process. all cars will be warmed up.

I will probably annoy the dyno operators again by being so fussy, but so be it!
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 11 years, 5 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: Dyno Cap for 2013 944 Spec 11 years, 5 months ago #14572

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Sorry for that, Eric.

As a practical matter, is there any difference between a DQ and a "last place"? I suppose there could be if there are 5 cars. A DQ would cost Toyo Bucks and a last place would not. I guess it could also affect season points but we have drops anyway.

As I understand it, the idea was a penalty for that particular race, not for life, not for a month, not for the rest of the event, just that race/quali, whatever. Is that correct?

I am fine with the notion of "last place" rather than a DQ unless there is something I am missing.
Jim Foxx

Re: Dyno Cap for 2013 944 Spec 11 years, 5 months ago #14573

I should be more clear. The big difference between the two, is that a DQ for a rules infraction, cannot be dropped - i.e. you must take the 0 in points. A last place finish can be dropped. For regional points battles, that is a big difference.
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds