Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Dyno Cap for 2013 944 Spec
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Dyno Cap for 2013 944 Spec

Re: Dyno Cap for 2013 944 Spec 11 years, 6 months ago #14256

OK, this is getting more fussy than need be, but lets use the dynos done Nationals for comparison, not the ones done later, after more tuning, and a change to thinner oil.

At Nationals, we changed out computers on the dyno to check for compliance. We did find one aftermarket chip doing this (honest mistake/lack of due dilligence, but DQ'd nonetheless)

The cahmpionship car made between 140.5 & 141.5 and the same TQ depending on which ECU was in.

The second place car made between 135-136 HP, and 138 TQ depending on which ECU was in.

The .5HP quote is apples to oranges.

If you want to see what that looks like, look here:

https://vimeo.com/49207880#t=436 Dan's car is the blue & white one in 3rd. Camera car is the eventual second place car. The green car is the championship winning car. [The shorter/edited version went belly up on Vimeo, sorry]
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Dyno Cap for 2013 944 Spec 11 years, 6 months ago #14257

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
Guess I'm going to have to dyno the car.

Someone commented above that there were only a few votes against the Cap. We noticed before many of our fellow racers are not active on here. We should NOT use the votes here as an indication of acceptance until the series directors have reached out to all their racers - to either come here and review the discussion or to provide their input away from the web.

(For reference - I'm against the cap, but understand a) why it is being introduced b) how difficult it is to satisfy everyone scattered across the country with different racing conditions.)

(My opposition relates more to the fact a published number becomes a "Must Have" target more than anything else.)
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re: Dyno Cap for 2013 944 Spec 11 years, 6 months ago #14258

944Racer72 wrote:
Sterling Doc wrote:
944Racer72 wrote:
What was the torque on those numbers? Would any have been DQ'd by the formula?

I can say for certain that both of the cars this year in the 140's would have been slightly over the cap. None of the cars from '07, '08, or '11 (the Mid-O Nationals I was at) would have been affected. At least one car during the Miller years would have been affected (maybe more, not sure).

Reading b/w the lines, one of those cars must be yours so you are voluntarily decreasing your HP?

Perhaps a sign to all that this is a best attempt at parity.

Thanks. As you can see from the other post, my car would not have fallen out at Nationals. My current motor was not on the dyno before Nationals. I relied on my A/F ratio gauge to tune it. It is now clear to me that the dyno is a sharper tool for that yet. Now, with thinner oil, and more tuning, it now would fall out. So, I will be going back to thicker oil, and may detune a bit to give myself some headroom.

@Jerry - is a 138HP target so bad? I think most can get close with a bit of tuning.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 11 years, 6 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: Dyno Cap for 2013 944 Spec 11 years, 6 months ago #14260

RD, I was seriously considering to not go to the 2013 Nationals unless I could afford to create a 140+ hp motor so I could compete with some really good drivers that have 140+ hp/tq, I also heard from a couple of others that they didn't want to go to Nationals for the same reason. Now I am comfortable knowing that I can be within a couple of h/p of the fastest motor. Dude, I can't imagine anybody with a 944 built with "the intent" not being able to get it under 140hp!!! If you were at 137hp, there is no way you just found 3+ hp from a lighter weight oil and if you did, just go back to the heavier oil and get more protection and better racing all with one stone. Your an important member of this club and I don't want to see you or anybody bail for no good reason. We should have the biggest and best field ever in 2013, the economy seems to be turning, word is now out that 944 spec is serious about keeping this equal and as cheap as possible.
Norman #99

Re: Dyno Cap for 2013 944 Spec 11 years, 6 months ago #14261

Jerry, your rite, I was prepared to spend money I don't have with an unlimited target, even if it was 150hp if I could do it legally, but now my goal is 138 which is a big relief and doable from just about any fresh motor and affordable.
Norman #99
Last Edit: 11 years, 6 months ago by norman#99.

Re: Dyno Cap for 2013 944 Spec 11 years, 6 months ago #14263

I will also likely attend nationals if I know we are all at or below 138.

The higher HP motors, and my perception of the related inequities (accurate or not ) helped keep me away the last two years.
Ashley Burt
2011 RM Champion
2012 RM Champion
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds