Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Rule Change Proposal Discussions - Vote here
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Rule Change Proposal Discussions - Vote here

Re: Rule Change Proposal Discussions - Vote here 10 years, 6 months ago #16779

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
This is way beyond the original intent of our class and I am vehemently against. It's not stock, not needed, and opens up a big can of worms that will open a big hole in your wallet
! Dyno time is expensive and those who have more resources can hire a guru to spend the time to tune it perfectly which most of us can't afford.

It seems most of us fall within a horsepower range between 130 to 136 and a very small minority are higher yet we are talking about rules and expense to raise us up instead of regulating the few down. I get that we want to get low compression engines up to the 88 motors but if we stick to the 138 hp cap minor tuning will help equalize hp .

To me this rule would be too much and maybe the straw the breaks the camels back, or his wallet.

Re: Rule Change Proposal Discussions - Vote here 10 years, 6 months ago #16781

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Big Dog wrote:

My point is perhaps someone could suggest what "offsets" are needed for various amounts of head shaving. That way, most would measure their head and get one key that brings their timing back (or real close) to factory.

Big Dog

This would bring the cost down then. That's what I was getting at, bang for the buck. Which way would be most economical. Sounds like the offset key route.
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build

Re: Rule Change Proposal Discussions - Vote here 10 years, 6 months ago #16782

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
1. Balance shaft (belt) delete Neutral

2. Oil Pan Gasket retainer In favor

3. Expand legal balast mounting area In favor. I guess I am more in favor of expanding the battery mounting location. I despise the current battery mounting location mainly due to the fact that there are cracks in the mounting tray which allowed a previous owners spilled battery acid to drain into the passenger foot well rearward. Furthermore, since I am just finished rewiring the car, I feel like there are better ways to manage the battery cables if the battery were elsewhere.

4. Allow 205/50/15 RR Toyo RR tires Neutral. If you want some of the benefits to the cheaper narrow tires as take offs from other classes, just run them in practice/open track events and save your 215s for official events.

5. Remove rule 12.5 Heads and allowable shaving Neutral as I dont know enough to make a decision. it does seem that there are other, better available head gaskets (widefire as an example) that can help some people out after a few rebuilds.

5b. Remove rule 13.5 computer management system Against

6. Remove 18 - Special Transition allowance Leave as is

7. Allow offset Woodruf key If allowed, there should be a specified woodruff key allowed based on head thickness. I.E. head thicknesses of __ to __ mm are allowed to use the +2 degree key and __ to __ mm are allowed to use the +4 degree key. Not mandatory, but allowed. Variable timing wheel is overkill for the purposes of this class.

8. Outlaw '88 computer Against as I dont know how legitimate of a difference this makes in the class.

9a. Allow blocks to be honed 20 thousandths oversize, and bores redone by factory process
9b. Allow exact reproduction '88 piston, 20 thousands oversize
In favor.

10. Transmission Cooler In favor. Why allow engine oil cooling and not transmission oil cooling. These are race cars after all, and there is a base level of preventive modifications that need to be done in order to maximize longevity. I just spent over $2k on a legit trans rebuild, I would like to ensure it health over the long haul. If it were easier to replace bearings after the main ring and pinion lash leave acceptable tolerances, then I would be against this rule.

11. Allow crankcase breather to vent to a catch can In favor. Lets keep the dirty air out of our motors as much as possible.

12a. Limit ram air ducting to bumper turn signal hole - or-
12b. [b] No ducting to air filter element outside of OEM configuration. May use open element air filter within the engine compartment[b] Neutral. I use the turn signal hole with no additional ducting between the stock location and turn signal so I am still basically in a stock configuration minus the signal.

13. Allow use of Lexan for rear side windows. In favor unless there is another way to add NACA ducts that still allow use of all stock windows.

14. Removal of spare tire well for all cars Neutral.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: Rule Change Proposal Discussions - Vote here 10 years, 6 months ago #16784

1. Balance shaft (belt) delete: YES

2. Oil Pan Gasket retainer: YES

3. Expand legal ballast mounting area: YES, BUT LIMIT TO REAR SEAT FOOTWELL FORWARD WITH CURRENT MOUNTING REQUIREMENT

4. Allow 205/50/15 RR Toyo RR tires: NO

5. Remove rule 12.5 Heads and allowable shaving: NO

5b. Remove rule 13.5 computer management system: NO

6. Remove 18 - Special Transition allowance: KEEP CURRENT RULE

7. Allow offset Woodruff key: NO

8. Outlaw '88 computer: NO

9a. Allow blocks to be honed 20 thousandths oversize, and bores redone by factory process: NO
9b. Allow exact reproduction '88 piston, 20 thousands oversize: NO

10. Transmission Cooler In favor: YES

11. Allow crankcase breather to vent to a catch can: YES

12a. Limit ram air ducting to bumper turn signal hole: PREFER TO ELIMINATE RAM AIR COMPLETELY. THERE IS NO/LOW COST TO RETURN TO STOCK CONFIGURATION.

13. Allow use of Lexan for rear side windows: YES.

14. Removal of spare tire well for all cars: YES
Steve Marlow
944 Spec #47x
NASA Certified Instructor
NASA AZ Licensing Director
2012 AZ Region 944 Spec Champion

Re: Rule Change Proposal Discussions - Vote here 10 years, 6 months ago #16820

OK guys, I'm going to take these votes back to the SD's and hash it out for rules changes

I did tally the votes. I had to add a "maybe" category due to all the hedging. While the votes here don't translate directly into rule changes, they do help inform the SD on the the opinions out there. There were a lot of things up for review this year, and lots of good input. Not everyone voted on everything, so don't expect all the votes to add up the same.

Vote results are as follows:

1. Balance shaft (belt) delete

Yes-8
Maybe- 4
No-7

2. Oil Pan Gasket retainer

Yes-16
Maybe-4

3. Expand legal balast mounting area

Yes -5
Maybe -7
No- 6

4. Allow 205/50/15 RR Toyo RR tires

Yes-3
Maybe- 2
No-14

5. Remove rule 12.5 Heads and allowable shaving

Yes-9
Maybe- 2
No-8

5b. Remove rule 13.5 computer management system

Yes-0
Maybe- 0
No-19

6. Remove 18 - Special Transition allowance

Yes-2
Maybe- 1
No-16

7. Allow offset Woodruf key

Yes-10
Maybe- 4
No-5

8. Outlaw '88 computer

Yes-3
Maybe- 1
No-15

9a. Allow blocks to be honed 20 thousandths oversize, and bores redone by factory process
9b. Allow exact reproduction '88 piston, 20 thousands oversize

Yes- 8
Maybe- 2
No-9

10. Transmission Cooler

Yes-9
Maybe- 2
No-8

11. Allow crankcase breather to vent to a catch can

Yes-12
Maybe-3
No-2

12a. Limit ram air ducting to bumper turn signal hole

Yes- 2
Maybe- 1
No-10

12b. No ducting to air filter element outside of OEM configuration. May use open element air filter within the engine compartment

Yes-4
Maybe- 1
No-10

13. Allow use of Lexan for rear side windows.

Yes- 9
Maybe- 1
No- 3

14. Removal of spare tire well for all cars

Yes-3
Maybe- 1
No-10
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 10 years, 6 months ago by Sterling Doc.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.12 seconds