Username Password: Remember me

Rule Change Requests for 2016
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Rule Change Requests for 2016

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 6 months ago #20005

• Crooks
  • Junior Racer
rd7839 wrote:
Hey crooks, I watched your video on youtube and paid attention to your shift lever and how much it moves around. You really do have a sloppy shifter! Mine did that until I rebuilt the front lever and replaced the busihings in the rear. Now it doesn't move around much at all. You might also have some other issue like a bad trans mount or motor mount, or both.

Rd, I don't think I have a video on u-tube, I don't post because my driving is so bad. You probably saw the one the Aggie posted. Thanks for the observation, I have the California shift lever but I will check the bushings. Still better than the 49 Stood.

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 6 months ago #20006

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
You're right, maybe I was thinking of somebody else down south there. It looked like a red late dash car. HIS shifter IS jacked up! Mine was like that and I had to drop out of the 2014 nationals, at my home track(!) mid race because of it. I rebuilt everything and it was better, not perfect though

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 6 months ago #20007

• wera44
  • Junior Racer
I've posted a few so it might have been mine.

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 6 months ago #20008

• afonseca
  • Junior Racer
Crooks wrote:
Guys does it occur to anyone else that rules change season has become political. Most of the proposals, it seems, are from the SE most of the objections from the left coast and Midwest. The Southeast is almost new to 944 Spec ”new guys”, the coast and Midwest are the “old guys”.

Good post and interesting perspective. As one of the "new guys" to 944 Spec and also on the West Coast, I thought I'd chime in since I agree with the new rule proposals and feel they are reasonable. This stems from wanting to see the class grow so we can have more people to race with.

I attended the West Coast Championship this year and saw a decline in attendance from the previous year. We barely got 10 cars on grid for the official race and with the exception of a few of us from out of region, it felt more like a Southern California Championship. I don't think we had anyone from the Northern California region this year. I came down from the NorthWest region which unfortunately no longer exists this year so thats another challenge.

Crooks wrote:
Truth is: ALL race cars have a fire problem, to think otherwise is irrational and dangerous. Gasoline fires are insidious;

Although not related to the rule proposal I can comment on the danger of fire since my car caught fire during my last race of the season (fuel sampling port at the end of the fuel rail failed). We were able to get it put out very quickly and the car survived but certainly gives me a new respect for fire safety.

So I'm for keeping costs down on things that are required but open to rule changes that enhance our ability to grow the class by removing objections for those getting started.

#44 Alberto Fonseca
? Region
Last Edit: 8 years, 6 months ago by afonseca.

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 6 months ago #20012

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
If your worried about how dated the car looks maybe your in the wrong class? These are 30 year old cars, that's why they're cheap! Don't forget, Ronald Regan was President when these cars were built.
If your worried about structural integrity, just wait till your fire wall cracks!

If you want to take a removable liner and place it in your spare tire well, fill it with foam so you feel safe, I'd say go for it. Just remember that in a fire, that foam will go up faster than anything else. Not to mention the thick black smoke from the foam. Also, it doesn't
have to be in a direct flame to melt and smoke. I believe 944-Cup has a rule like that. If we're really serious about safety and fatigue, maybe we should look into getting a replacement fuel rail and allow the Lindsey Racing billet fuel rail.

As far as wheels, here's a set on ebay... www.ebay.com/itm/83-84-85-86-944-15x7-Co...hcJWO7F1&vxp=mtr
They are in good shape for only $550 which includes shipping. If you minus $100 for shipping that's only $112.50 per wheel. I'd buy them if I had the money.

Short throw shifters are a performance advantage allowing faster shifting. If we let this one in, it will increase the cost for everyone.

As far as increasing the class, someone said it earlier, when someone says Porsche they think $$$$. As a former Group 3-4 Leader, the Series Director needs to go talk with 3-4 and wrangle them in before they head off to TT or another group. Your not going to get everybody but 1 or 2 per year will help!! As 3-4 Leader I have pulled in 4 people in 3 years.
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 6 months ago #20013

• afonseca
  • Junior Racer
RacerX wrote:
Short throw shifters are a performance advantage allowing faster shifting.

As you said, we are talking about Ronald Regan era cars here, the transmission will only let you get into gear so fast so there is no performance increase here. It's just a "feel" modification so those that are happy with the way the shifter feels need not spend any money.

#44 Alberto Fonseca
? Region
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds