Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

2017 Rules Proposal Thread
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 4 months ago #21371

7sOnly wrote:
We have a customer who is new to 944Spec. He was racing at California Speedway and his car caught fire. The cause was a cracked fuel rail. He was planning on racing with NASA beginning in the 2017 season, but will not now unless he can use an aftermarket fuel rail (like the one from Lindsey Racing). Since there is no apparent performance advantage, we would ask that this fuel rail be allowed for safety reasons.

Leaky fuel rails are a constant issue in the Southeast, we haven't had a major fire yet resulting from one since they normally just weep or slowly drip but it seems inevitable.

Between my car, my brother's car, and our back up car we have probably repaired or replaced 10 in the last three years. Tom Crookston just had one leak before last weekend's race and I know he has replace several over the past 2 years.

Before anyone asks , all three of our cars (and Crookston's) all run balance shaft belts and always have.

My understanding is that it is difficult to properly weld the rails to fix, there are also 3 different models that require different fuel line configurations so they are not always easy to swap.

Due to the high probability of failure and the potential damage resulting from a failure I am all for allowing an aftermarket rail.
NASA Southeast
944-Spec
The topic has been locked.

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 4 months ago #21372

As for balance shafts, there is less vibration that comes from not running them than running them with the belts installed incorrectly. If some of you are having repeat issues with the leaks, double check that they are not 180 degrees off.

As for allowing aftermarket, if there isn't a performance advantage, why not???
Norman #99

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 4 months ago #21373

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
Well, to get the paart to work with the stock fuel pressure regulator you have to buy the $573 kit?!!! Now I know the next reply will be that it's a small price to pay to keep from burning to the ground. I personally have had very little experience with cracked fuel rails, the only one I saw had the balance shafts professionally set but were still off.

As far as performance advantage, there very well could be. The kit comes with an aftermarket fuel damper that according to the manufacturer smooths out the pressure pulses better than the Bosch part and therefore adds smoother power delivery. Does that add up to higher horsepower as well? Let's see some dyno testing before we blindly say it's ok.

If it is allowed, it should have to include the fuel pressure gauge attached so we can all see if it affects it in any way

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 4 months ago #21374

• ChuckS
  • Seasoned Racer
Ron,
The $573 kit includes everything. New Rail, Regulator, Damper, Lindsey Fuel Lines, T-Fittings, multiple AN adaptors and a tubing cutter.

The rail itself is $170. Still expensive. It will need some more parts.

I think people who know more than I would need to evaluate the Marren Damper as well as what it would take to use our stock components. As we all know, buying anything from Lindsey entails a hefty profit margin on their part.

Maybe the rule should allow any aftermarket rail using only stock damper and regulator. Wording might need to say something along the line of "as long as no performance advantage ...." or something to that effect.

I think the desire is: something that does not leak or break!

BTW - I took my FP Gauge off after seeing one leak on a 928 and burn to the ground.

Maybe we can get Only944 to make one!!
Chuck Sharp
San Diego, CA
1986 Spec 944 #58
Red / Twin White Stripes
Last Edit: 7 years, 4 months ago by ChuckS.

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 4 months ago #21375

• 7sOnly
  • Drivers Ed
We don't care what aftermarket rail. We just want one that doesn't leak. This fire cost our customer at least $3,000.

7s Only would be happy to Dyno cars with and without an aftermarket rail back to back and share the results. Our only concern is safety.

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 4 months ago #21376

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
It's hard to argue with 7's only, they are a great shop and I'm sure they know more than the rest of us, I just want to make sure we aren't looking in the wrong spot before we say it's ok to spend a LOT of money to fix the wrong thing

We've had this discussion on here many times about racked fuel rails, and it almost ALWAYS turns out to be a balance shaft issue or motor mounts, a combination of the two and even a missing or wrong bolt holding the rail down.

These cars are still on the road(although less so these days), have been and are being raced constantly, and it's not that common a problem. Scour the internet and you'll read what's been said here,the balance shaft is causing it.

Having said all that, and in the interest of full disclosure I only have 2 nozzles on my fire system. One pointed at my feat and the other pointed at the fuel rail just in case it's NOT a myth!
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds