Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

2017 Rules Proposal Thread
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 5 months ago #21244

• 944#98
  • Drivers Ed
I Normally abstain from forum posting, but i wanted to chime in on a couple of topics if my opinion matters

Also i am aware of the rule creep problem , however we need to understand the difference between "shall" and "may"

Wheels- i would like to see a aftermarket option IF it is same specs as stock . I know that in some parts of the country cookies seem be had for cheap and easy. That's not true everywhere. Furthermore continually stressing a 30 year old aluminum alloy doesn't seen like a good idea forever.

88 pistons- i would like to see the 88 motor outlawed OR allow for a specific aftermarket (Woosner) piston. I have been trying to get a set of 88 for a while . I now have 3! (one i bought off ebay was bad, dude jipped me). They are very difficult to find! Buying a whole car for pistons is not very economical or practical for me.
From what ive seen , it seems like HC with 88 dme motors reliably produce better hp /tq . Im sure ill get lots of info about how they don't matter ,BUT ive noticed....
1) many of the same people who say they don't matter have them...
2) many who have found 88 pistons hoard them.
3) many of the people who say there is no advantage, built HC when time for rebuild / fresh motor ... if there's no advantage , why?
4) a guy in ohio that "sometimes has them on his site" is NOT availability

It seems to me that with specified compression ratio ,head thickness , Dyno results, restrictor etc. this can be policed easily

Short shifter im ok either way t have the only944 kit and it seems to help quite a bit - anything that helps with better , more reliable shifting im for-

Oh yeah...And rear coilovers
The topic has been locked.

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 5 months ago #21246

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
tcomeau wrote:
I don't think anyone, including the dyno operator would dyno a car in anything BUT 4th gear, but let's add that to the rules.
A "perfect build" car is still within the rules.

Yeah, I thought that it was common knowledge that you dyno a car in the gear that is closest to 1:1 gear ratio. But, Im always for clarifying things to make it stupid simple, so lets say dyno in 4th.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 5 months ago #21247

I agree with Brian on the 88 pistons.....if they weren't an advantage they wouldn't be so sought after/hard to find. Can a HC motor be built to equal a LC? Yes, but why start off in the hole so to speak. Why wouldn't you start with the best option if it was readily available.

And have we not set a precedent for allowing the aftermarket piston with the addition of the new "944 Spec approved" DME? Its essentially (in my view as its seems to be just 3 of 300 original parts-case/connector/flywheel chip) an aftermarket DME. And it is based of the highly sought after 88 DME.
Michael Morris

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 5 months ago #21248

• KJZ78701
  • Comp School
LOL Perception is reality. Attached is a picture of the 944 pistons. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, post weight numbers if you have them for both sets of allowed pistons and wrist pins.
Attachments:

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 5 months ago #21249

• KJZ78701
  • Comp School
Why wouldn't you start with the best option if it was readily available.

Please define best.

And have we not set a precedent for allowing the aftermarket piston with the addition of the new "944 Spec approved" DME?

WHAT???? Here is the rule:

I. Only the stock genuine Porsche OE computer engine management system (DME) is allowed.

Am I missing something?

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 5 months ago #21251

• KJZ78701
  • Comp School
Ok, I found the other topic on the new DME.

1-Why are these things all over the place.? If that's a new rule, why is it not posted here?
2-Who is deciding these things?
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds