Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Run any 15x7 wheel you want as long as...
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Run any 15x7 wheel you want as long as...

Re:Run any 15x7 wheel you want as long as... 14 years, 10 months ago #4805

Then we have to start checking wheel offsets & widths, and/or track with. One nice thing about the cookies & phone dials is they never came in an 8" width. Easy to enforce the rules. Fuch's came in15x8" widths, so that's an issue for them.

I addition to adding weight, it creates the potential for massive imbalance if a bunch came off - like if a one spot was greasy. Would any shop put on 2 lbs of sticky weights?

Some rich & creative soul could also make a wheel with a heavy center and light barrel - it would meet the letter of the rule, but have significantly less inertia

Many issues here...
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 14 years, 10 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re:Run any 15x7 wheel you want as long as... 14 years, 10 months ago #4807

I think that adding weight to a wheel is not a good idea, possibly allowing other wheels than PD and Cookies is kinda iffy with me simply for the fact that used cookies and phone dials are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than any new aftermarket wheel. $40 a piece versus $120 at a minimum. Why give another rule to have to enforce? Why give someone another area to possibly stretch the rules? What is the benefit? Availabilty? Not sure on this one guys. I mean, someone could have connections to a wheel manufacturer (like me) and can have a custom wheel made that is 15x7 but as said, manufactured with a heavier center to make weight but ultimately, the lighter weight outer shell of the wheel could be a safety issue. When you open up gray areas for racers, they usually will take advantage of it and sacrifice safety for speed. Just my .02
MICHAEL MADUSKE
2009,2010 Southeast 944-SPEC Champion

Re:Run any 15x7 wheel you want as long as... 14 years, 10 months ago #4809

Porsche is sort of unique in the world of aftermarket wheels. Due to the 5x130 bolt pattern very few standard aftermarket wheels work on Porsches. Those that do tend to be very pricey. It all comes down to a unique bolt diameter. As such finding "cheap" aftermarket wheels is hard in the first place. As soon as you say "custom" prices go up. It is not like we are spec miata with 20-30 options for aftermarket wheels.

No better to stay with stock wheels and cookies and phone dials at that. Personally the only way I would be ok with non stock wheels would be we have supply/age issue. For example we can't get these wheels anymore used or the ones we are getting are too old and possibly could fail. As of now I have not heard of either issue.

BTW... can anyone even point to a off the shelf aftermarket 15x7 wheel with proper bolt patten and offset? Other than a "fuchs copy" I don't think I have ever seen one made in the last 15 years. I know BBS and Epislon made some back in 80's, but anything in current production?
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds