(1 viewing) (1) Guest
NASA California North Region Website

nasanorcal.com/

TOPIC: Need help cage shopping

Need help cage shopping 15 years, 11 months ago #1551

• Gary_44
  • Seasoned Racer
Hey folks,
Finally got around to making a profile. I need a little education...
I'm getting more serious about a cage, wondering if you guys can give me recommendations on a kit or installer.
Found a speed shop here in Modesto thats built a few 944's, wants $1600 minimum. I hope I can beat that.
What were the downsides to a bolt-in?
\"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.\"
--- Ernest Hemmingway

Re:Need help cage shopping 15 years, 11 months ago #1553

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
Gary_44 wrote:
Hey folks,
Finally got around to making a profile. I need a little education...
I'm getting more serious about a cage, wondering if you guys can give me recommendations on a kit or installer.
Found a speed shop here in Modesto thats built a few 944's, wants $1600 minimum. I hope I can beat that.
What were the downsides to a bolt-in?

Bolt in will not fit as close to the body and can't be setup for your positions (height of harness cross bar, entry to car, seat position etc etc). Some of the older bolt in cages are not race legal due to being made of ERW not DOM steel.

TC Design in the South Bay has done most of the Spec 944 cages in Norcal and a) knows the 944 b) can issue the Log Book once the car is done. I would at least give him a call to price shop and compare.

The bolt in will probably end up being replaced in a few years as it's limitations annoy you so could be a false economy.
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re:Need help cage shopping 15 years, 11 months ago #1556

From my understanding, if you have an ERW bolt in cage that was grandfathered in, then you will have problems in the next couple of years as those will probably not be legal for racing; however, if you have the DOM bolt in cage, it should be just fine as long as you have the extra door bar welded. Of course I could be wrong but I sure hope not.
Window Tinting
Paint Protection
Vinyl Graphics

Re:Need help cage shopping 15 years, 11 months ago #1559

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
I know it's a little bit of a drive from Modesto but TC designs is the best for 944's and BMW's at a very comparable price. I drove from Sacramento to San Jose after looking at a few local builders. I decided against a bolt in cage after seeing the aftermath of a Honda rollover at turn 1 T'hill. The cage held fine but I believe the driver got hurt when the roof crushed up to the roof bar which was about a foot from the edge of the door. His head unfortunately was outside of the bar and hit the ground.

Are you building a spec 944? We'd love to see some new faces.

Re:Need help cage shopping 15 years, 11 months ago #1560

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
Litespeeds wrote:
From my understanding, if you have an ERW bolt in cage that was grandfathered in, then you will have problems in the next couple of years as those will probably not be legal for racing; however, if you have the DOM bolt in cage, it should be just fine as long as you have the extra door bar welded. Of course I could be wrong but I sure hope not.

Any new built car will not be able to grandfather (no new log books will be issued with ERW cages -- That was what got me with the cage I was going to buy from Ken).

The biggest issue I have with the bolt in cages are the feet bolt to the floor pans and not to the sills. The sills are significantly stronger and supportive.

Gary - if you are at infineon this weekend come and see where the boltholes for the cage are and compare to the welded cage mounts I now have.
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re:Need help cage shopping 15 years, 11 months ago #1562

• Gary_44
  • Seasoned Racer
rd7839 wrote:
I know it's a little bit of a drive from Modesto but TC designs is the best for 944's and BMW's at a very comparable price. I drove from Sacramento to San Jose after looking at a few local builders. I decided against a bolt in cage after seeing the aftermath of a Honda rollover at turn 1 T'hill. The cage held fine but I believe the driver got hurt when the roof crushed up to the roof bar which was about a foot from the edge of the door. His head unfortunately was outside of the bar and hit the ground.

Are you building a spec 944? We'd love to see some new faces.

I'd say I'm in stage 1 of my Spec build, the cheap stuff. I was debating whether to add saftey stuff or suspension next, when my teenage son asked if he could drive it in HPDE. That made the decision easier. I signed him up for Thunderhill 8/23, so I'd like to have it caged by then.
\"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.\"
--- Ernest Hemmingway
Moderators: tcomeau
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds