NASA California North Region Website

nasanorcal.com/
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tech inspection

Tech inspection 15 years, 3 months ago #3301

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
I've got a reminder and a question.

The reminder is that seat belts expire after 2 years from the manufacture date which is marked on the belt somewhere. Mine were expired as of December so I ordered new ones and just installed them tonight.

The question I have is whether the fire extinguisher expires or not? It has a date stamped on it but there is nothing in the rules that I could find mentioning an expiration. The gauge is still in the green. I just don't want to be doing a frantic search saturday morning for a new one.
Last Edit: 15 years, 3 months ago by rd7839.

Re:Tech inspection 15 years, 3 months ago #3304

If you have a FIA approved harness, it is good for 5 years. This is the one that I have:
www.saferacer.com/g-force-pro-5pt-camloc...s.html?productid=952

If it is not FIA approved, then maybe it is only good for 2 years. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

As for the fire extinguisher, I think you are fine.
Window Tinting
Paint Protection
Vinyl Graphics

Re:Tech inspection 15 years, 3 months ago #3311

• pixrken
  • NorCal 944-Spec Director
Hi Ron,

Your fire extinguisher is O.K.

I'm changing the two year SFI harness on the Thunderbolt car which expired end of 2008 to FIA harness so I don't have to deal with this again till five years.
I'll use the SFI harness for the LeMons car. The LeMons race rule allows the use of SFI harness four years from the date of purchase.
--Ken
Last Edit: 15 years, 3 months ago by pixrken.

Re:Tech inspection 15 years, 3 months ago #3316

• rlofgren
  • Seasoned Racer
i just ordered belts from OGRACING.COM and he said that from a practical standpoint, all belts should be replaced every two years, especially if the car is parked outside in the sun. the belt material looses its elasticity. I got SFI from him and will replace again in two years.
944-SPEC #30 Norcal 2010 Champion
944-SPEC #23 non sunroof
1990 944 S2 street
2003 Mini Cooper S
Lofgren Construction
leafbranch.com/

Re:Tech inspection 15 years, 3 months ago #3319

• Gary_44
  • Seasoned Racer
You guys ever look into manufacturer's rewebbing the SFI harnesses?
For mine, it's exactly half the purchase price to reweb.
\"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.\"
--- Ernest Hemmingway

Re:Tech inspection 15 years, 3 months ago #3371

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
rlofgren wrote:
i just ordered belts from OGRACING.COM and he said that from a practical standpoint, all belts should be replaced every two years, especially if the car is parked outside in the sun. the belt material looses its elasticity. I got SFI from him and will replace again in two years.

I've ordered from GForce (through Apex - one of our sponsors) with FIA coverage (5 years) but also re-web services are available. Not all manufacturers will re-web.

But don't you think it's funny the the vendors reccomend replacing the harnesses -- but street seatbelts are good for the life time of the car with the same webbing ?
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552
  • Page:
Moderators: tcomeau
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds