(1 viewing) (1) Guest
NASA California North Region Website

nasanorcal.com/
  • Page:

TOPIC: Newbie wannabe: Steering/ or rental

Newbie wannabe: Steering/ or rental 15 years, 2 months ago #3886

• Otimo
  • Drivers Ed
Hi, I'm finishing my 1983 NA for Infineon Mar 21-22, but for HDPE 1 as I am new to this.

I'm hoping to be ready by Sat.

The car is bone stock 1983 w/manual steering and is my daily driver. So...I still have that notorious high speed shimmy. I've replaced the outer tie rod ends and the inner ones may be loose. Or maybe the rack.

Q1: Does the P/S Rack have less turns lock to lock? I'd like to switch this out if so.
Q2: Any other advice on fixing the front wheel shimmy. I have read about having to balance the wheels and check for out of round on the tires. This will be next after the inner tie rod ends.
Q3: Likely I may not resolve this before the weekend. I'd appreciate advice on where to rent a race car. Any variety except it has to have a pass seat as I'm doing HDPE.

Thanks, Hope to join 944 spec someday soon.

Re:Newbie wannabe: Steering/ or rental 15 years, 2 months ago #3889

• rlofgren
  • Seasoned Racer
'notorious high speed shimmy'? I am not aware that this is a common thing with 944. I have an '83 944 that i have been time-trialing and racing since 1992. i think i still have the original steering rack on it. the whole car does shake a bit more at high speed than low speed, but it's not too bad.
what happens when you drive your car on the highway? bad steering wheel wobble?

i would still come to infineon for the weekend and you can get somebody to look at your car. also if you are doing hpde 1, the stresses on the car shouldn't be too great. there will be 6-7 of us 944 guys there that can take a look/test drive out on the highway.
944-SPEC #30 Norcal 2010 Champion
944-SPEC #23 non sunroof
1990 944 S2 street
2003 Mini Cooper S
Lofgren Construction
leafbranch.com/

Re:Newbie wannabe: Steering/ or rental 15 years, 2 months ago #3890

• pixrken
  • NorCal 944-Spec Director
Hi Otimo,

Welcome to the forum!
You might want to raise the front of the car up off the ground and rotate each wheel by hand to check if you see any sideways or in/out movement, it could be a bent wheel.
Check also the wheel bearings by grabbing the tire and try moving the wheel side to side.
There should not be any play or clunking sound.

If you're close enough to AutoPoint Motors in Pt. Richmond they can check it for you and pre-tech your car. You can get tech at Infineon but it'll cost more.
Here's the form: http://www.nasaproracing.com/images/rule...s/form_hpde_tech.pdf

Since you must have already register because hpde1/2 is full just come on out and play.
I can save a space for you in our pit area.
--Ken

Re:Newbie wannabe: Steering/ or rental 15 years, 2 months ago #3892

Welcome to the NorCal 944 Spec forum and hope you can join us soon. As for the shimmy, I would check for a bent wheel first but it might be bent on the inside so you need to remove each wheel to examine. Next you should get all 4 tires/wheels balanced. 3rd, it could be your alignment. 4th it could be your wheel bearings. How old are your tires?

Chances are it is not your manual rack. The bushings on the manual rack could be worn and that might be a cause too. The easiest thing to do is to bring your vehicle to Art at Auto Point Motors to have him give it a once over and he will tell you exactly what's the problem and will charge you accordingly. He is very fair in his pricing and he can also sign off your tech form for your HPDE.

Good luck and hope to meet you this weekend.
Window Tinting
Paint Protection
Vinyl Graphics

Re:Newbie wannabe: Steering/ or rental 15 years, 2 months ago #3893

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
1) I'd certainly NOT replace the manual rack without some more indications that it is truly the problem.

2) HPDE1 does not need a race car of any form. If your 944 is not ready and you have a regular car of any type you will be ok bringing that this weekend (tech will still have to take place).

3) If the 944 is at the track this weekend we can get one of the more experienced guys to look at it and maybe take it out for a test.
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re:Newbie wannabe: Steering/ or rental 15 years, 2 months ago #3896

• Otimo
  • Drivers Ed
Wow, thanks for all the response. I look forward to meeting you'all at Sears Point.
I'm about to dive into the front end right now.

A the bearings are loose a little as I set them that way not wanting to have them too tight. I believe there may be bearing noise but my pro mechanic friend tells me it's tires.

B on the freeway I have pronounced vibration at the wheel.
I'll spin the tires and visually check.

C The rack and or inner tie rod is loose. I can feel it when I shake it. [Alittle]

D I'd like to replace the rack for a shorter ratio one. And on some cars the power rack is shorter. BTW the tie rods are from a power rack on my car as the outer ends I bought were for p/s rack and they fit.

E Contacting Art is probably the best advice as I do too much by myself and the pros can better, theve gone through the learning cuve.

F I'd have to buy my wife's car to drive it on the track.
So I'll be there with the 944 and or a rental. See you soon.
  • Page:
Moderators: tcomeau
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds