Username Password: Remember me

Flat Towing Conundrum
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
NASA California North Region Website

nasanorcal.com/
  • Page:

TOPIC: Flat Towing Conundrum

Flat Towing Conundrum 14 years, 4 months ago #6584

Okay. So I have the car lined up to be delivered in a week. Things are looking solid for me to join you guys in February.

I'm trying to find a trailer within my budget right now, but I may need some time to make that work. So, I'm thinking about flat-towing, since the car is already set up for that.

Only issue is, I've been looking at DMV b.s. and it is apparently not legal to flat-tow a car that is not registered for street us. Lacking a cat or headlights, this car will not be legal.

So... anyone flat-tow? What do you do about this? Is it even a worry? Help?

Re:Flat Towing Conundrum 14 years, 4 months ago #6585

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
Yes - if you flat tow in CA your vehicle must have current registration and therefore smog. Most quys who drive/flat tow have a cat they can swap in and out as appropriate. This also means you'll have to insure the car.

Dont worry about the headlights - no safety inspection in CA.

(Oh and this also applies to tow dolly's as the car has 2 wheels on the road in that case)
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552
Last Edit: 14 years, 4 months ago by JerryW. Reason: Add PS

Re:Flat Towing Conundrum 14 years, 4 months ago #6586

Yeah, I looked that the law said that no part of the car can touch the ground. Tow dollies are out. Not much point anyway.

Hmm... I suppose I could register/insure it and just get a cat to smog. I don't suppose anyone's got a spare one I could borrow for a week or something?

Re:Flat Towing Conundrum 14 years, 4 months ago #6588

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
how about a temporary registration? no smog required, no inspection and I think they last 3 months if I'm not mistaken.When it expires you can renew the temp but it will start to get expensive.

Email me directly, maybe we can work out some sort of time share with my trailer since I generally avoid Infineon.

Ron @ This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Re:Flat Towing Conundrum 14 years, 4 months ago #6589

• pixrken
  • NorCal 944-Spec Director
Hi Cameron,

There are no temporary tags per se, but when you begin the registration process you will receive a temporary registration in the form of a red piece of paper you tape to your back window.
If the intent is to buy some time until you get your trailer then this is an option after which you just declare your vehicle as a Planned Non-Operation.
If your intent is to register the car and pass smog you can check with Art, He has the spare exhaust with cat's you can borrow.
--Ken

Re:Flat Towing Conundrum 14 years, 3 months ago #6737

I picked up a car trailer that belonged to a coworker of mine. I will probably need to install some extra tie-down eyes to strap the car too. That shouldn't be too tough to do, though.
  • Page:
Moderators: tcomeau
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds