Username Password: Remember me

Dead Engine at Buttonwillow
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
NASA California South Region Website

nasasocal.com/
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dead Engine at Buttonwillow

Dead Engine at Buttonwillow 8 years, 10 months ago #19439

Thanks to everyone who helped with my engine problems. For those who were not there, the problems started in practice with the engine missing at high RPMs. The missing spread to the entire RPM range in qualifying. After we had replaced a number of electrical parts, the engine would not start. We determined that there was no spark.
As Jim H. suggested, there turned out to be two problems. After countless hours of changing everything except the wiring harness, I found a broken wire at the harness connector to the speed sensor. When we were wiggling wires, the almost broken wire must of completely broken. I spliced the wires together and the engine started but it was still running rough and missing.
Jim H. came over and after more hours of checking, he suggested we do a leak down test. We had done a compression test at the track and it was ok. Tim C. was kind enough to come over and the leak down showed #3 leaking. I pulled the head and found a bad lifter and bent intake valve. The valve retainer was also cracked. At this point I do not know if the broken retainer caused the lifter to come apart or if the bad lifter caused the retainer to split.
I will post pictures if I can get them to download.
Jim Richmond
Capt Squid
  • Page:
Moderators: tcomeau
Banner
Time to create page: 0.06 seconds