Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Ground Control camber plates with Bilstein struts
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ground Control camber plates with Bilstein struts

Ground Control camber plates with Bilstein struts 6 years, 7 months ago #21818

1987 924S, with standard Bilstein struts up front running with 350# springs and a GC coilover setup with GC camber plates.

I am having the main plate of the camber plate on both sides of the car start to bend up after several races. I have carefully flattened them on a press and reinstalled and they end up bowing up slightly after s couple of races.

I spoke with the GC guys, and they are telling me that the internal bump stops in the Bilsteins are making contact during turns, which is causing the deformation. They say to go to a higher spring rate, and have Bilstein shorten the bump stops in the struts by ~50%.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I am guessing that not that many of you are running Bilsteins, so it could be there is not that much data out there.

I run in other series with this car that don't allow for adjustable shocks/struts, so am a kind of stuck with them.

Thanks for any help...

Keith
#124, 1987 924S Spec racer
1988 Turbo S

Re: Ground Control camber plates with Bilstein struts 6 years, 7 months ago #21819

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
What is your ride height? Are they the top or bottom mount camber plates?

I put 400# springs and Bilsteins on my 924S but haven't driven the car in anger yet since my wife uses it as a DE car for now.

Do your normal tracks have big curbs that you use a lot? I kind of doubt you are getting into the bump stops without using the curbs or going off and finding a pot hole.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: Ground Control camber plates with Bilstein struts 6 years, 7 months ago #21820

I have it down to "Norm Hamden 944 Spec height", so it's pretty low. That may be part of the problem I guess, since I am pretty sure he's running Koni's.

These are the bottom mount ones.

We ran 14 hours at Laguna, so I am sure that we were going over curbs to minimize lap times. I don't think that any of us were jumping into potholes however.
1988 Turbo S

Re: Ground Control camber plates with Bilstein struts 6 years, 7 months ago #21821

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
The last car I setup had bilsteins on it and Racer's Edge "top mount" camber plates and the ride height was at ~4.5" at the rocker front and rear. Its only done one event at that height, but it looked about right and not too low. I have read about 4" at the rocker is right, but I think anything between 4-5" is good. We have one car here that is likely lower than that at about 3.5", and it looks way too low.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: Ground Control camber plates with Bilstein struts 6 years, 7 months ago #21822

It looks like every other Spec car out here in our region, in terms of ride height.

These are the camber plates:
groundcontrolstore.com/collections/944/p...r-plate-944-924-pair
Attachments:
1988 Turbo S
Last Edit: 6 years, 7 months ago by KDJones2000.

Re: Ground Control camber plates with Bilstein struts 6 years, 7 months ago #21824

• Robbie
  • Junior Racer
  • The dread pirate
Mine were bent even with Konis. I didn't worry about it. They still worked fine. I'm pretty sure they're just too thin.
1987 924S #5 NASA RM
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds