Username Password: Remember me

Clutch Slave
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Clutch Slave

Clutch Slave 13 years, 1 month ago #10205

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Big Dog needs help with the clutch slave. I pulled the engine to install the nitrus boost system:laugh: and the trouble started.

When I reinstalled the engine and tried to put reinstall the clutch slave, the slave piston was extended out and feels very hard when I try to push it back into the slave cylinder. I have been unable to make it move in and did not want to put too much pressure on it until I checked with you guys. I checked the brake pedal and found that it was on the floor. I pulled it up but that had no affect on the piston. I have not opened the bleeder valve yet to see if that would help.

Questions:
1. Is the slave damaged because of the extended piston?
2. If not, how do I get it back into the correct position?
3. If it is, can I rebuild it with the typical rebuild kit?
4. How did it happen in the first place? Did someone step on the pedal after it was removed from the clutch and that caused the piston to extend?

Thanks for the help.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re: Clutch Slave 13 years, 1 month ago #10206

What you probably need to do is to pull the slave off the car and work with it on the bench.

It probably was that the clutch was pushed causing the piston to move too far. If you put it on a bench you can remove the bleed screw and should be able to get the piston back I with no fluid in the system or anything to block it movement. Don't remove any seals in the process. You can use the power brake bleeder to push the air out after you put it all back in.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re: Clutch Slave 13 years, 1 month ago #10209

• Big Dog
  • Banned
OK, thanks, Joe. It will come off today and I will post up how it went.

As for the power bleeder, heck, us Big Dogs just get a mouth full of Motul and blow it through the lines. It adds a bit of spit to the mix but what the ?@*%. Powder bleeders cost $50.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re: Clutch Slave 13 years, 1 month ago #10213

While it is out, you could pick up a rebuild kit for ~ $20 and replace all the seals.

You'll pretty much need some kind of pressure or vacuum bleeder. It is hard to get all the air out using the pedal in the clutch system.

How did you plumb the nitrous? Fire bottle look alike system like mine?

Re: Clutch Slave 13 years, 1 month ago #10214

There's a write up on clarks-garage.com/

...but it doesn't say a whole lot.

Re: Clutch Slave 13 years, 1 month ago #10215

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Big Dog wrote:
Questions:
1. Is the slave damaged because of the extended piston?
2. If not, how do I get it back into the correct position?
3. If it is, can I rebuild it with the typical rebuild kit?
4. How did it happen in the first place? Did someone step on the pedal after it was removed from the clutch and that caused the piston to extend?

Thanks for the help.

Big Dog

To answer your questions

1 Usually not. If it wasn't leaking before it shouldn't leak now. Inspect the seals , if they looked cracked or have little spider lines in them, little bits missing from around the edges, replace em'.

2 Lubricate the shaft and seals before trying to reinstall. Use clean brake fluid to do this.

3 You can buy kits for them on Ebay or your favorite vendor or buy the whole cylinder.

4 Yes, that is what usually happens.

A mighty vac pump will suck the fluid down to bleed, this is a great way to get the fluid started and then switch to 2 guys and do it the old fashion way. Pump, hold, loosen the bleeder screw, tighten the bleeder screw and repeat. When doing your brakes start with the furthest wheel away from the master cylinder. It would be passenger rear, drivers rear, passenger front, drivers front and then the clutch. Make sure you top off the fluid every so often so you don't suck air.
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds