Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

sub-belt mounting question (sorry!)
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: sub-belt mounting question (sorry!)

sub-belt mounting question (sorry!) 13 years, 1 month ago #10237

i know this has been discussed probably a hundred times but I'm going to ask anyways...I want to do it right the first time.

New 6-pt belt going - per the Schroth guidelines where they would like to attach the eyelets my seat will no longer bolt-in and I already raised it up from where the previous driver had it...just not enough room near the mid/rear of the seat.

I can move the eyebolts forward a bit closer to the sub-belt hole and probably clear it or I can sit on the sub-belts. Sitting on the belts seems to be acceptable however can I use the existing eyelets for the lap belts or should I bolt the sub belts under the eyebolt and continue to use clip-in lap belts? I would imagine (2) things clipped to (1) eyebolt is a major no-no.

Hopefully what I'm asking makes sense and isn't too confusing. I can get pics if needed...thanks.
85.5 944 Spec #51 - Midwest
86 951

Re: sub-belt mounting question (sorry!) 13 years, 1 month ago #10238

Here is my seat mount and you can see where the sub belts mount.

4 gray plates are the seat mounts and 2 gold ones are sub mounts. The lab belts go to the stock seat belt holes. The subs are mounted per the shroth guide using eye bolts. My seat does not used sliders.

The seat is mounted on bottom hole on side mounts. I can't get finger under it in back and any lower and I would not see over the steering wheel. I can't see over the wiper as it is, but I don't run one most of the time.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Last Edit: 13 years, 1 month ago by joepaluch.

Re: sub-belt mounting question (sorry!) 13 years, 1 month ago #10243

• cgktexas
  • Senior Racer
SamGrant951 wrote:

I can move the eyebolts forward a bit closer to the sub-belt hole and probably clear it or I can sit on the sub-belts. Sitting on the belts seems to be acceptable however can I use the existing eyelets for the lap belts or should I bolt the sub belts under the eyebolt and continue to use clip-in lap belts?

Looking at the competition instructions, Sitting on the subs, and routing back through the lap belt holes is not recommended (see attached pic). The reason being that it produces slack in the subbelts that when needed, they wont perform right.
schrothsubstrapwarning.jpg
Curt King
Flying Penguin Racing
an OtterHouseProduction (www.otterhouseproductions.com)
Rockwall, TX
#14 1987 944 Spec - in work (and getting closer)
For His Glory Ministry
Lake Pointe Church
Upper Room Dallas
TJT
Autism Speaks

Re: sub-belt mounting question (sorry!) 13 years, 1 month ago #10244

Thanks guys - I ended up getting them situated right around where joepaluch's are...and they clear the seat

So much more to do but any forward progress is good-
85.5 944 Spec #51 - Midwest
86 951

Re: sub-belt mounting question (sorry!) 13 years, 1 month ago #10246

• Big Dog
  • Banned
The best answer is to get belts (Team Tech) that has the sub belts attached to the lap belts so that they both attach to the lap belt point. They are like a climbers harness so that they do not have slack.

That means that you do not need to attach anything to the floor pan, which can deform in a crash.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re: sub-belt mounting question (sorry!) 13 years, 1 month ago #10247

"The anti-submarining strap routing over the upper thighs and attachment to the shoulder belt latches with the buckle in between, does not provide a direct load path from the shoulder belts down to the anti-submarining strap anchor points. The indirect routing requires a type of preloading of the anti-submarining straps during a frontal impact. This is achieved by sitting on the anti-submarining straps, routing them rearwards and attaching them in the region near or on the lap belt anchorages."

Per the Scroth website for six point harnesses. They do not obviously want to redirect the five or six point harness around the front of the seat, it must go through the hole for the five point, or sit on them for the six. Interestingly they also want you to cross the shoulder harnesses for use w/ the Hans devise.
Attachments:
"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting."

Follow my blog at danj944spec.wordpress.com/
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds