Username Password: Remember me

Race Car Build Journal Ideas
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Race Car Build Journal Ideas

Race Car Build Journal Ideas 12 years, 10 months ago #11230

• GT944
  • Senior Racer
So I found a car! I'm starting to tear into it and want to keep track of things for myself (what I found, modifications, expenses, setup notes, to-do list/wish list, etc.) This is my nerdy self wanting to stay engaged with as much as possible and keep track of everything as I go - what do you guys use? I see some of the build threads on this forum and they're fun to read and share ideas on, I plan on doing something similar as I go, but I want a detailed notebook or file on my computer (maybe something with Word or preferably something with OneNote) But just something that will remind me what is important to record, what I'm doing, and where I'm planning on going.

Any thoughts?
- Greg - #518

'88 944 Spec Racer - Race Ready! (finally)

Re: Race Car Build Journal Ideas 12 years, 10 months ago #11232

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Take lots of pictures as you "may" forget how something was put together months later when you need to re-install it.

Don't throw anything away until you are completely finished. You never know what you might need later.

Label parts and pieces. Don't assume that you will remember that odd part later.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re: Race Car Build Journal Ideas 12 years, 10 months ago #11236

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
The only thing that I would do differently would be to take pics before dissassembly. I'm usually pretty good about remembering where things go but when you have a dissassembly party and 5 guys help to take it app art and a year goes by, it's difficult to remember where everything goes. Label the things you take off, put the screws, nuts, bolts in a baggie and tape it to the part, Save everything. Certain parts that you know that you'll never reuse, ie stock seats, carpets and the like, sell on e-bay. Keep a folder for receipts and remember to put them in whenever you buy something and keep a running total.
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build

Re: Race Car Build Journal Ideas 12 years, 10 months ago #11238

• GT944
  • Senior Racer
Thanks for the input, guys. I'm taking pictures and am pretty good at organizing parts as I go - plenty of experience (unfortunately) with trying to sort out the parts pile at the end of a project And spare parts sales are a good supplement to my budget, unfortunately my carpet is crap and there is plenty of interior wear/mold (Seattle, WA car) but I should be able to recoup a fair amount in wheels/tires, possibly seats, and some others. Any luck selling working A/C systems? I think mine works, or at least it has a charge on it.

I decided to keep my personal records in two forms - a Microsoft OneNote notebook on my computer, as well as printing out pages to keep in a binder that I'll record all of my track day info on (run sessions, car setup, changes/ideas when I'm out at the track, etc), and finally a file of all receipts I collect as I go. Do you guys run a record binder with your personal tech info, setup notes, and session notes? I have seen some guys with binders that have worksheets from performance driving coaching programs, but I'll probably end up making my own.
- Greg - #518

'88 944 Spec Racer - Race Ready! (finally)
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds