Username Password: Remember me

Advice on installing an Aluminum seat that slides
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Advice on installing an Aluminum seat that slides

Advice on installing an Aluminum seat that slides 12 years, 1 month ago #12907

• Tabbasco
  • Junior Racer
Am not sure what direction to go on seat mounting, has anyone installed an aluminum seat that has to slide...my co-owner in the car is 6'5" and I am 5'11" so we need to be able to move the seat forward and aft. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
v/r
T2
HPDE Driving Instructor
www.thedriversedge.net

Re: Advice on installing an Aluminum seat that slides 12 years, 1 month ago #12908

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Yes, don't do it on slides that are mounted on the floor pan. It WILL deform in a significant crash.

How about putting cross bars between the side and the tunnel and bolting the seat to it with fixed bolts coming up and having two different sets of holes in the bottom brackets of the seat to accommodate both drivers. It only takes a few minutes to change the seat position and should be much stronger, as well as being lower (giving more escape room).

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re: Advice on installing an Aluminum seat that slides 12 years, 1 month ago #12914

• cgktexas
  • Senior Racer
I built my seat mount with three sets of bolt holes to accommodate the seat position moving 2 inches. You will also have to make sure the seat back brace is adjustable as well.
Curt King
Flying Penguin Racing
an OtterHouseProduction (www.otterhouseproductions.com)
Rockwall, TX
#14 1987 944 Spec - in work (and getting closer)
For His Glory Ministry
Lake Pointe Church
Upper Room Dallas
TJT
Autism Speaks

Re: Advice on installing an Aluminum seat that slides 12 years, 1 month ago #12932

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Nicely done, Texas. My only comment is that I cut the raised sheet metal out that was part of the old seat mounting system so I could get my seat lower, without touching the floor pan. I wanted/needed as much head room as possible to make getting out as easy as possible.

The only other "improvement" would be welding studs to the frame so you only have to put nuts on from the top and don't have to try to get to a bolt head on the bottom. The inside ones can be a bitch to get to. Of course, that is just hypothetical as I would never have made a mistake there and had to redo the damn thing.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re: Advice on installing an Aluminum seat that slides 12 years, 1 month ago #12933

• cgktexas
  • Senior Racer
It's hard to see in the picture due to the paint and angle, but the sheet metal risers are notched (not the floor pan itself).
The holes you see have grade 8 nuts welded to the underside of the bracket, so grade 8 bolts run down from the top of the seat bracket.
Curt King
Flying Penguin Racing
an OtterHouseProduction (www.otterhouseproductions.com)
Rockwall, TX
#14 1987 944 Spec - in work (and getting closer)
For His Glory Ministry
Lake Pointe Church
Upper Room Dallas
TJT
Autism Speaks

Re: Advice on installing an Aluminum seat that slides 12 years, 1 month ago #12935

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Well, that took care of all of my critical remarks! Now I guess I will bitch about your paint color.

I actually love the white paint on the floor pan. It helps to brighten it up when having to work, or find lost stuff, down in there, especially at the track as the sun is going down. I tried to do that but the paint shop decided to paint over some of the white that we had painted.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds