Username Password: Remember me

Fuel starvation problem
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fuel starvation problem

Fuel starvation problem 15 years, 9 months ago #1950

• dgrande
  • Drivers Ed
Unless I maintain at least a half full tank of gas my car will sputter when taking a hard right hand turn. I have a new fuel pump and I've checked that the fuel sending unit is working ( so I believe I'm not just running the tank empty). I also have a new fuel pressure regulator.

As long as the tank is above half I have no problems. As soon as it goes below half it will start starving coming out of right hand turns. I should mention that that the tank also pressurizes when hot which doesn't seem to be an uncommon event with 944s.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm really tired of carrying around the extra weight of a full tank...

Doug Grande
RM region 944 spec #44

Re:Fuel starvation problem 15 years, 9 months ago #1951

I would recommend looking at your gas tank venting system. We had a very similar problem with our 944 turbo last year and found a kinked vent line. This would also cause the pressurizing in hot weather.

Re:Fuel starvation problem 15 years, 9 months ago #1952

also check the filler neck.

There is a float on the bottom of the filler neck and this can break off fall in the tank. My 84 Steel gas tank car would suffer fuel starvation on the exit of hard right hand turns. It turned out that the bottom of float fell in the tank and would seal up the hole in the bottom in right handers and the car would run out of fuel quite qickly. It would always come back when going straight or turning left.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Fuel starvation problem 15 years, 9 months ago #1955

• dgrande
  • Drivers Ed
Joe - How did you find the float had broken off? I removed the fuel sending unit and looked in the tank. I did find a black wide gasket (looked like a rubber band) floating around. I removed it but that wasn't the cause of the starvation. Could that float be lodged down in the bowl where the fuel pick up is? How can I get to that area of the tank? I'm temped to just install a different tank and see if that cures the problem.

Re:Fuel starvation problem 15 years, 9 months ago #1956

• dmdirks
Doug,

It's not too difficult to remove the filler neck- I had to replace mine last year due to a different problem. At least examine the vent line connected to it by removing the cover over the neck. Try that before replacing the tank!
David Dirks
www.944MotorWerks.com
2010 944-Spec National Champion
Rocky Mountain Region

Re:Fuel starvation problem 15 years, 9 months ago #1957

• dgrande
  • Drivers Ed
Will do Dave. The filler neck was replaced when the motor was redone last fall - maybe in the installation process the line got kinked. When I pull the filler maybe I'll be able to get a different view of the lower part of the tank where the pump draws from. Hmm, just think, if I'm running close to weight at Hastings I may be able to keep you within sight...
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds