Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Another new build is begun ...
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Another new build is begun ...

Re: Another new build is begun ... 13 years, 5 months ago #9197

• JB3
  • Junior Racer
Getting ready for the first weld on the cage. Driver side main hoop plate.

weldingplate1.jpg

tackingfirstplate.jpg

Just had to insert a couple pictures of the new welding helmet. I'm not much of a welder in the first place (which is why I'm only doing the tack up - daughter will do the real welds) but this helmet is making it much much easier. By now I should know to not scimp on tools. This is a Jackson helmet and well worth the additional cost over the generics I've been using for years.
'JB'
Last Edit: 13 years, 5 months ago by JB3.

Re: Another new build is begun ... 13 years, 5 months ago #9198

• JB3
  • Junior Racer
A good start. Main hoop, forward hoops, dash bar, windshield bar, and roof bar installed. You can see Hank made a custom mod for me, locating the windshield bar high up and behind the box at the top of the windshield. Got some extra long drivers to accommodate. (Not me).

DSC_0758.JPG

Talk about a tight fit! Fortuitously, I just had my SnapIn 20 ounce digital A-pillar Adjusting Tool calibrated. If you don't have that kind of specialty tool a large hammer will do.

DSC_0759.JPG

Slightly out of sequence - don't tell Hank!
'JB'
Last Edit: 13 years, 5 months ago by JB3.

Re: Another new build is begun ... 13 years, 4 months ago #9244

• JB3
  • Junior Racer
Well, my welder is visiting for the Holiday so it's off to the Eastern Shore. Snowing outside and below freezing. Radio says a storm is coming up the coast. North Carolina declared a state of emergency. We may not get home but by golly we'll get some cage built!

DSC_0788.JPG

All set to get started. No reason to do out of position welds as it's so easy to rotate the chassis. Especially on the sheet metal.

DSC_0783.JPG
'JB'

Re: Another new build is begun ... 13 years, 4 months ago #9245

• JB3
  • Junior Racer
Hanksville did a custom location of the windshield bar up and back. So the only way to weld some tops was to remove the roof (hey it's been done) or drop the front cage section - if possible. Turns out it is. Lucky us. First we welded the dash bar and as much of the windshield bar as possible. Then removed the main hoop and the front section rotated down. More importantly we were able to rotate it back up!

DSC_0790.JPG

Laura welds the top of the roof bar, windshield bar, and attaches the gussets.

DSC_0796.JPG
'JB'
Last Edit: 13 years, 4 months ago by JB3.

Re: Another new build is begun ... 13 years, 4 months ago #9246

• JB3
  • Junior Racer
I provide the unskilled labor. Have grinder will travel. Gotta clean up the tack welds before we re-install the forward section.

DSC_0792.JPG

DSC_0794.JPG
'JB'
Last Edit: 13 years, 4 months ago by JB3.

Re: Another new build is begun ... 13 years, 4 months ago #9247

• JB3
  • Junior Racer
Good days work. We're pleased to get this far. Front section of the cage is installed. Lower door-bars are tacked in place. Upper section is just wedged in for fitment check. Hung the doors to check the fit. Perfect! Can't put too much paint on or the doors won't close! Check the location of the windshield bar. I wanted this because I've seen tall drivers have difficulty fitting in the 944. This gives them an additional 2 inches of vision.

DSC_0798.JPG
'JB'
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds