Username Password: Remember me

oil pressure sending unit
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: oil pressure sending unit

oil pressure sending unit 13 years, 6 months ago #8576

• deadeyeb
  • Comp School
looking to start my dash can I just hook the oil pressure sending unit to the gauge or does it have to go through the ecu. does anybody know of a aftermarket oil pressure gauge that will run off of the stock sending unit. I stripped most of the stock harness and installed a 951 oil cooler and filter housing. where would I put a oil temp sending unit in a 84 motor with a 84 oil pan. I really don't want to drop the pan and weld a bung into it. thanks for any help.
Fred B.
83 944 in progress
94 f350 dually
95 audi s6
Last Edit: 13 years, 6 months ago by deadeyeb.

Re: oil pressure sending unit 13 years, 6 months ago #8579

some "VDO " gauges work with the stock sender , I do not know what ones.

Oil pressure does not go to the DME (ecu)

hmmm you could remove the drain plug and drill it out then tap it for the temp sender ... or find a new plug and drill it out.

good luck !

Re: oil pressure sending unit 13 years, 6 months ago #8584

Late pans have a second plug on the pan where the Turbo oil return line goes. That's a nice place to tap the plug for an oil temp sender. The '84 may not have this, though - would have to use the oil drain plug...
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: oil pressure sending unit 13 years, 6 months ago #8586

• GaryM05
  • Senior Racer
Are you replacing the OEM OP gauge because yours is broken, or is there another reason? From clarks-garage.com, the resistance from the OEM OP sender on an early motor at various pressures is as follows - you could probably use this info to look online (or email vendors) for a gauge that matches:

Oil Pressure (Bar) / Resistance (Ohms)
0 / 10.0
3 / 116.0
5 / 184.0

Rather than replace just the OP gauge with one that's compatible with the stock sender, though, it might be worth replacing the sender as well and go with a fully new setup of sender/wiring/gauge. That would also be a good opportunity to put a T-connection on the OP port for an electric OP dummy light, as well. This would also give you a little bit of sensor/gauge redundancy in case one of the sensors goes bad.

For oil temp, I'll just echo what's already been said - with an early oil pan, drilling out the drain plug is your best bet.
Snyder Motorsports #10 944 Spec
Last Edit: 13 years, 6 months ago by GaryM05.
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds