Username Password: Remember me

Muff question
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Muff question

Muff question 13 years, 5 months ago #8611

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
It's time to get rid of the factory muffler and was wondering what the best solution is, power and sound wise, plus cost. My car is 60lbs over weight so I can lose a few.

The only place we run with tight noise restricions is Laguna Seca but we rarely go there however I'm not sure I want just an open pipe though.

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks
Ron

Re: Muff question 13 years, 5 months ago #8613

• rlofgren
  • Seasoned Racer
come race at infineon and you can check out Jerry's Buzzetti influenced exhaust setup!
944-SPEC #30 Norcal 2010 Champion
944-SPEC #23 non sunroof
1990 944 S2 street
2003 Mini Cooper S
Lofgren Construction
leafbranch.com/

Re: Muff question 13 years, 5 months ago #8819

I use a stock muffler on my 944-spec car. I never felt I was losing any hp. I also have a complete straight pipe too. The straight pipe never felt like it made any more hp. It did make alot more noise.

We did some sound checks in Az any my car test at 86 dB with stock air box and stock muffler with no cat. Some cars with very open mufflers were in the 95 dB range. If Laguna is on your radar I would stay stock. If you really want to be fancy you can keep the stock for Laguan and swap them, but I don't know the power will be any different.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re: Muff question 13 years, 5 months ago #8917

• many944s
  • Junior Racer
One of our customers that we built a car for last winter installed a Supertrap. The car performs well, and sounds fantastic! We have a straight pipe on our shop-demo car "the speed demon" but it's way too loud. makes a good leaf blower backing up around the shop in the fall though

Re: Muff question 13 years, 5 months ago #8918

Nick, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the rental "Green Machine" make its 138HP with a regular muffler?
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 13 years, 5 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: Muff question 13 years, 5 months ago #8927

hanksville did a set up for me that I think he recorded so he could just sell mail order systems.

mine was tig welded Stainless , with a dynomax I think ...

his sponsor banner is on the left.
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds