Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Racing Seat Preference
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Racing Seat Preference

Racing Seat Preference 13 years, 5 months ago #8977

• B1BFlyer
  • Senior Racer
I searched for this topic but couldn't find any threads related to it.

I'm going to need a seat for my 924, and I'm not sure if I want full containment or standard seat with a net. What do most of you all run? The benefits of egress room vs. better head containment are the discussions I've seen brought up.

Second, I've only sat in a few seats, so recommendations or warnings against type or manufacturer are definitely welcome.

I'm just under 6ft, 175lbs.

Thanks,
Ryan
Ryan Peterson
Abilene, TX
924s, #21

Oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers.

Re: Racing Seat Preference 13 years, 5 months ago #8978

I have a sparco pro2000 and a net. I have been happy with it.

However seats are a very personal choice. You need to get what works for you and makes you feel safe and comfortable.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re: Racing Seat Preference 13 years, 5 months ago #8984

• JRichard
  • Senior Racer
I'm 5'10 175, and I find alot of the seats too wide in the pan. I prefer the recaro's but they tend to run tight. My sparco pro 2000 was a nice seat but just a little too wide for my derrier, you really have to sit in them to guage the fit. Also some of them are a bit more difficult to get mounted low. I prefer the halo but I'd does take some fussing with to get mounted to clear the window exit and you will need a QD wheel to get out of the car.
I never cared for the kirkey type seats but if you spend the time to get them adjusted guys swear by them.

Re: Racing Seat Preference 13 years, 5 months ago #8985

• GaryM05
  • Senior Racer
Whatever you choose, make sure that you actually sit in whatever seat you’re thinking about buying, as different seats obviously fit different people in different ways. In my opinion, the safest-spec seat in the world becomes a safety liability if it’s not comfortable to the driver and detracts from your ability to focus on what you’re doing on-track.

I chose a non-Halo seat when I built my car 3 years ago, though if I were doing it again I would think harder about learning to live with a Halo seat (specifically, learning to deal with the potential egress challenges to be worked around.) Having now had the opportunity to drive in a car with a Halo, I found that it did not impact the driving experience or visibility at all, which was not what I had expected.

(For what it’s worth, I went with an aluminum seat, as it was far and away the most comfortable choice that I found, and was very easy to mount in the car exactly where I wanted it.)
Snyder Motorsports #10 944 Spec

Re: Racing Seat Preference 13 years, 5 months ago #8987

Ryan remember it's a 924S not a 924 . big difference ...

and WELCOME TO OUR FUN !
Last Edit: 13 years, 5 months ago by SvoChuck.

Re: Racing Seat Preference 13 years, 5 months ago #8989

• Big Dog
  • Banned
I have always been a big believer in the halo seat. I went with a ButlerBuilt seat. They have been making NASCAR seats for many years and, with the violent crashes NASCAR has, I believe they know how to design and build a seat for much faster speeds than we run.

Because their seats can be ordered in "custom" sizes for production prices, I have found the seat to be very comfortable even in longer enduro's. They have a variety of basic seat sizes and match your measurements to one of them. The seat has wrap around rib pieces that secure you into the seat so you DO NOT MOVE under corning. Your ribs, however, are not very strong so they are easy to break. The seat has two padded arms that you fit so that they wrap around the sides of your shoulders (which is the strongest part of your upper skeleton) to keep you from moving in a side impact so that your ribs are not at risk. I have seen a number of guys break or crack ribs with the more conventional seats and I swear by mine.

I added leg whip extensions to the front of the seat sides to help contain my legs. With several practice attempts, getting into and out of the seat is NO problem. The first time or two you do not think it can be done but it just takes some practice and then becomes second nature. With a Team Tech 6 or 7 point harness, YOU WILL NOT MOVE.

I am 225 and 6 feet and have NO problem getting out of the window. I mount my seat on a steel bar welded to the tunnel and the frame rail and NOT to the floor pan. In every severe crash I have seen, the seat moved and sometimes (most of the time) substantially allowing the drivers head to contact the roll cage.

I believe that seats are not given the safety consideration that they should get and believe we can benefit from what NASCAR has learned about protecting the driver.

If you decide to go with a Butler seat, I can get you the model number and accessories help if you wish.

Jim Foxx
Jim Foxx
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds