Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

"Flipper" ressurection - Budget Build 2
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: "Flipper" ressurection - Budget Build 2

"Flipper" ressurection - Budget Build 2 13 years, 4 months ago #9312

Many of you guys know that the "Budget Build" car I documented here in '09, ran all of 2 events before I put it over it's nose, onto its roof, becoming known as "Flipper". I've finally gotten around to redoing a build, using many of the parts recouped from Flipper.

The original "Flipper" (before it gained it's unfortunate name:laugh: )

After the wreck:

After that, I bought back my old car, affectionately known as the "Mistress"

Late last year, I sold the Mistress to Brad Raum, who is kicking off the Great Lakes region 944 Spec for 2011
Most of what prompted this is seeing the excellent rollcage work done by Bennington Motorworks' new fabricator, Matt. His TIG welding is a work of art, and very reasonable - $1,700 installed.

I also like their door bar design, which I got on both sides (I sometimes instruct, and carry passengers):

It cost me more to buy+ship a kit, and pay for the consumables in welding it in, exclusive of labor last time. While I would recommend a Hanksville cage to anyone, and one saved my neck, we now have a great local, installed option in the Midwest through Bennington.

So, I had a good chassis from a parts car, most of the race parts from Flipper, and now, a great new option for a cage custom to me. Time for the "Mistress" to go again, and build a new car to my taste.

Goodbye Mistress

Enter Bennington Motrosports:

Here's the new chassis, freshly (and reasonably) painted & caged by Bennington:

I've already start on the sunroof, using diamond plate bought for cheap from a trailer dealer (spare/scrap from what they put on the front of trailers). Adds a little interior bling with the "mirrored" ceiling. Notice the nice fit of the Bennington cage, as well.

More to come!
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 13 years, 4 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: "Flipper" ressurection - Budget Build 2 13 years, 4 months ago #9318

Looks great, Eric. The cage looks great, and I love the diamond plate sunroof cover!
www.944cage.com
www.hanksvillehotrods.com
In-house mandrel bender
Custom-fitted, ready-to-weld mail-order 944 cages

Re: "Flipper" ressurection - Budget Build 2 13 years, 4 months ago #9323

• many944s
  • Junior Racer
Thanks for the kind words Eric, Thankfully we enjoy what we do!!

Nick Miller
Bennington Motorsports
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds